Why does my setup not work

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brcisna

Reaction score
Hello All,

Bought a property, and, after scrounging around in brush found an abandon well in a 550 gallon septic tank case.
Wanting to get a dedicated well for our truck patch thought would try and resurrect this setup. The motor had been submerged in water and hasn't been used for 30 years.

Is an AY Mcdonald pump,,with the proprietary case well adapter that 90's over to the actual pump sits atop a 2" well casing . This is the two pipe setup.
This adapter head has threaded 1 1/4" NPT for both the ejector and the suction tubes that go down into casing FYI.
Have a working Wayne shallow well pump in the archives, so being the tightwad wanted to try and utilize this pump if possible
My thought was to plug the ejector part, 1 1/4" pipe plug ,,and simply pipe the Shallow well pump to the suction side of this setup it seems once primed it should work. But alas, after much fanagling the pump will only pump out whats in the housing then gives up. When I shut the pump off,,I can here the casing sounds like slight compressed air.
Water is 11' with foot valve is 18' as best i can measure with nut and string.

Will attach a pathetic drawing of this setup may help explain a little bit.

Attachments

• shallowwell.png
    shallowwell.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
@Valveman
Should my idea work,,,as you see it.. I did place a lousy drawing of my setup in original post . I probably didn't explain very well. I can not get my shallow well pump to pull.any water ,from this 2" case .but after thinking about it,,,is it such that the 'discharge chamber' part of the well case as it is is full of air. Have only messed with shallow wells in the past so a deep case,,is foreign to me. My Initial thought was as long as i plugged the discharge port in the case adapter,,the shallow well pump should pull from the ejector suction side at least even if volume isn't real great. I thought the ejector poppet valve thing would just stay shut for the discharge side, on the packer ejector,,but i am thinking i am all wrong about this.
AM going to go to a submersible but just curious why this doesn't work at all. I've blown a lot of time off and on trying to get this setup to work,,

Thanks

Attachments

• 101castingadapter2.png
    101castingadapter2.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
To change a deep well pump to a shallow well pump you move the ejector from the bottom of the well on those two pipes and bolt the ejector right to the pump. The ejector converts the two holes in the pump into one and the ejector has the "jet" which is what makes a jet pump work.

Latest posts

Back