whole house is backed up...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidh

Reaction score
Glad to have found this forum!

Moved into a new construction house about 18 months ago. A few months after, everything backed up -- water coming up in shower, toilets gurgling as everything drained slowly, etc.

Had a plumber come snake it from outside. Said this is common with new construction as building crews will often flush down rags and anything else they don't want to deal with.

It happened again 2-3 months after, but it resolved itself before a plumber out.

Today, the same thing happened again. Fortunately, it has once again resolved itself.

Any thoughts as to what could be happening? We have a lot of new construction in my area, including something almost directly behind be going up now, and I'm wondering if this might affect my house.

Also curious as to what the best solution is? Should be we somebody to come up and put a camera on the snake to find out if it's us or the city sewer?

Thanks for your help!!

David

Frodo - thanks for the reply!

The plumber I use only had a couple of trucks with a camera on them, so I'm having to wait a few days to get them out. That's the next step though and as soon as it happens, I'll drop back to report what's up.

Again, I appreciate your time and expertise. Very helpful!

I've opened so many sewers and the best thing you can do in the meantime is use single ply paper, no feminine products or condoms....and most of all no wipes!

Story time:eek:

Had a brand new house, We did the warranty work on them. new owners moved in. first time they tried to use 1st flr toilet it backed up. Passed running water test prior to their move in. When the home was being built, some disgruntled person dropped nails ,pieces of gas pipe, and wood down the stack from the second floor. Pipe was filled from the 90 below the slab up about 4 ft above the slab. Builders did not want to bust open the new slab so I spent 2 days fishing the debri out with a magnet and spear ( Jab & pull a pc of wood out, then a few nails w/ magnet, then more wood and pipe, more nails. :eek:

I have also seen a knock out test cap, thin plastic, same size as the Inside diameter of pipe. it will act like a butterfly valve. opening and closing. Even after it's been snaked. Snake will push it open. Be clear for a bit, then backs up again.

Camera best way to find out.

Update on this...

Had a guy come out with a camera. Have two videos, which are linked below, if you're interested.

Said something about the drain coming out of the bathroom having a curve, which could cause issues. Also, there are some places where there are things waste could be caught up where the pipes are connected.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxRgIPUWJsk&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2uFbpYYGtI&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Still waiting for him to check with the boss and get back to me with a fix. The only this I know for sure if that he said they'll have to dig up some of my yard.

Grateful for any opinions you guys have on this.

Thank you!

The first video was a little foggy.

But I think that your main problem is most likely due to the buildup in the old pipe. That was definitely not installed anytime recently. A good high pressure jet job would probably be the best treatment for that.

Back