Whole House Filter selection for Well Water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have good quality well water, with sediment. No bad taste or smell. Tested ok for contaminants. I want to install a whole house filter and need to determine if it should be a single stage or double stage. Looking at this filter system....iSpring WGB22B 2-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System with 20” x 4.5” Fine Sediment and Carbon Block Filters.
I am also looking to install a sediment filter....iSpring WSP50ARB Spin Down Sediment Water Filter.
The main concern is should I use a single or dual stage system?
Any opinions would be welcome.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you are filtering out? Use no more filters than needed as each one causes pressure loss. Sometimes going to the root of the problem is best. Pumping a well out and/or eliminating pump cycling maybe all that is needed to stop the sediment.

The only concern is really sediment....I have a small spin down filter at the pump but it allows alot of sediment through. So, I figured adding a carbon block filter would help that any anything else that may exist. Sound like I may only need another better sediment filter.

We use a simple 10 inch string wound 10 micron filter, it does a perfect job, lasts about 4 months.

R50BB for sediment, IMHO. Carbon filters will grow black gunk (algae?) in a system without any additional disinfection in my experience.

Thank you for that valuable info!!!!
I have a filter at the pump that catches a lot of sediment, but allows finer particles through. I need to manually release the sediment weekly. Do you think an additional automatic spindown filter in my garage will solve that issue?

Thank you for that valuable info!!!!
I have a filter at the pump that catches a lot of sediment, but allows finer particles through. I need to manually release the sediment weekly. Do you think an additional automatic spindown filter in my garage will solve that issue?

Adding additional filters that you may not need is just going to add to your complexity and maintenance requirements.

I would start with the 50 µm pleated filter and see how that does. If that clogs up too quickly, then you could add a spin down filter ahead of it.

In my experience, spin down filters need fairly regular maintenance, so make sure that you can disassemble it and clean it as required. I had a whole set of elements and housings and O-rings, so that I could swap in a clean, set and clean the dirty set at my convenience.

Also note that clear housings on filters are a mixed blessing. You can visually see when it’s starting to get clogged up, but letting light in will allow algae to grow.

Since I’m not very knowledgeable on this…. is that for the spindown filter or a different type?
It's just a standard cartridge filter. We have very little sediment, so I don't feel the need for a spindown filter.

I currently have good quality well water, with sediment. No bad taste or smell. Tested ok for contaminants. I want to install a whole house filter and need to determine if it should be a single stage or double stage.
If you don't have an odour or taste issue, there is no need for a carbon filter. I think I would just use a high flow cartridge filter. The larger the cartridge it takes, the less frequently you will have to replace it. I see this one at our Home Depot, that should work.

EcoPure High-Flow Whole Home Filtration System - White Model # EPWO4

If you don't have an odour or taste issue, there is no need for a carbon filter. I think I would just use a high flow cartridge filter. The larger the cartridge it takes, the less frequently you will have to replace it. I see this one at our Home Depot, that should work.

Thank you. I appreciate that advice. I will go with that.

How would that stop sediment ?
Sediment in a well can actually be caused by the pump cycling on and off. With a pressure tank only for control the pump puts out maximum flow until the tank is full, and then the pump shuts off and the flow is zero. A 10 GPM pump will draw 10 GPM until the tank is full. This causes the water in the well to wash through the well screen, perforations, or even just fractures in the rock fast enough to bring the sediment with it. At the same time, the water level in the well is dropping, causing previously wet sediment on the walls of the well to dry out and sluff into the well. When the pressure tank is full the pump abruptly shuts off and the water level quickly rises, washing over the sediment like waves at the beach. When a pump is constantly cycling on and off, the well is being surged up and down, which is a method used by drillers when they want sediment to sluff off during a cleaning operation.

Adding a Cycle Stop Valve to a system like this can greatly reduce sediment. Even though many people have a 10 GPM or larger pump, rarely is more than 3-5 GPM being used in the house. With a Cycle Stop Valve the pump is only pumping as much water as you are using and the well is only producing as much as you are using. So, when using a 3 GPM shower for example, the CSV makes the pump draw only 3 GPM from the well. The CSV will draw a steady 3 GPM from the well and pump for as long as you are in the shower or have a 3 GPM sprinkler running. This will cause the water level in the well to drop only slightly if any, and stay at that level, eliminating the well wall drying out and sluffing off as well as wave action as the well does not need to recover. The small 3 GPM flow is not enough to bring the sediment through the well screen, perforations, or fissures in the rock. What sediment does get into the well never makes it up to the pump, as the velocity of the water in the casing isn't high enough to lift the sediment. Most times the flow is so low the velocity in the drop pipe connected to the pump is not even high enough to bring sediment up with it.

In other words, when using a CSV, the flow rate is usually so low and the velocity so slow the water comes up without any sediment. When water is moving up a pipe slowly enough, the sediment just settles back to the bottom and never makes it to the cartridge or spin down filter.

I get slammed from some people for claiming the Cycle Stop Valve solves every problem with a pump system. However, nearly every problem with a pump system is caused by cycling. It should then make sense that something designed to stop cycling would also solve nearly every problem with a pump system.

Like I said, pump the well out good, eliminate the pump cycling, and you may not even need a filter.

Looking at the usable filters, I see several types. It looks like pleated is for sediment since I have no issues with chlorine or odors. However, the filters come in many micron sizes. How do I determine 5 vs 30 microns? What do you recommend for well sediment?

A 5 will filter better than a 30 but clogs up sooner as well. You could start with a 5 and see how long it last. If it clogs quickly try a larger micron filter until you find the sweet spot. Some people use a spin down or screen before the cartridge filter to catch the larger stuff and make the 5 micron cartridge last longer.

A 5 will filter better than a 30 but clogs up sooner as well. You could start with a 5 and see how long it last. If it clogs quickly try a larger micron filter until you find the sweet spot. Some people use a spin down or screen before the cartridge filter to catch the larger stuff and make the 5 micron cartridge last longer.
Thank you. My intention, after all of this great advice, is to install a setup with the following:
ISPRING Reusable Sediment Spin-Down Water Filter with Scraper and Auto Flushing Module and a single stage EcoPure High-Flow Whole Home Filtration System, Model # EPWO4 unit with a 30 micron pleated filter.

Having issues with leaks at the plastic filter housing. Using a metal 1 in to 3/4 in pex barb adaptor . Tried tape and then pipe dope. I am thinking of doing it the old fashion way with string and pipe dope. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back