Whole house electric shutoff valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccorb

Reaction score
I need to install an electric valve to shutoff the water to a house. The valve for a 3/4" line. It will be in a meter can underground so will be in a moist, high humidity environment. I want a 3 wire non solenoid type valve. I've looked on Amazon and see a lot of valves but people say they are either unreliable or aren't good for wet locations. Others cost hundreds of dollars and I can't tell if they are much better than the $50 ones. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Why do you need an electric valve to turn your water off ?

It's for a resort home. For safety purposes the owner wants the water turned off when not in use but if it's rented out for the week or housekeepers are there or the sprinkler system needs to operate they want the water turned on.

It's for a resort home. For safety purposes the owner wants the water turned off when not in use but if it's rented out for the week or housekeepers are there or the sprinkler system needs to operate they want the water turned on.
There are companies that sell complete packaged systems. I believe Moen sells one.

Google it and read about it.

I've not used a motor actuated valve other than in industrial applications. But U.S. Solid on Amazon "appears" to be a U.S. company located in Cleveland OH, so I assume their products are U.S. made. They have a 1-year warranty. Maybe check the BBB and call them.

Oops, edited here because this is a 24-volt AC/DC.

1666475206756.png

Here's a BACOENG 110 v valve on Amazon. But BACOENG is a trademark for Suzhou Jianli Machinery And Equipment Co., Ltd. 1666475847585.png

Buyer beware.

So, you also need some kind of remote control…???

For the valve part, (you probably want a motorized ball valve) try calling these folks: Dultmeier.com | Car Wash Supplies, Ag Sprayer Parts, Equipment, Pumps they supply car wash, industrial and agricultural and have a large selection. Good customer service and support.

You’ll have to figure out the remote control yourself or contact a firm that does low-voltage or security systems.

Having owned a car wash once, they were a go-to supplier. I can tell you with certainty that a quality reliable unit will cost $200-$300 just for the valve. Then you’ve got to run power to it, and have a reliable remote control system with, probably, an internet enabled switch. Not too bad, but not trivial either. If you’ve got a client not ready for a project starting at the valve cost, probably not worth investigating further.

Last edited:
So, you also need some kind of remote control…???

For the valve part, (you probably want a motorized ball valve) try calling these folks: Dultmeier.com | Car Wash Supplies, Ag Sprayer Parts, Equipment, Pumps they supply car wash, industrial and agricultural and have a large selection. Good customer service and support.

You’ll have to figure out the remote control yourself or contact a firm that does low-voltage or security systems.

Having owned a car wash once, they were a go-to supplier. I can tell you with certainty that a quality reliable unit will cost $200-$300 just for the valve. Then you’ve got to run power to it, and have a reliable remote control system with, probably, an internet enabled switch. Not too bad, but not trivial either. If you’ve got a client not ready for a project starting at the valve cost, probably not worth investigating further.
Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I will contact them Monday but they have several valves that will work I think.
The house already has networked relays that control a lot of other circuits so I will be adding a double throw relay downstream of an unused networked relay to control the valve.

If I understand this correctly the Moen 900-001 Flo 3/4-Inch Smart Water Shutoff runs around $850 at Amazon, but I don't know if its use is outdoors or not. I think it can be used in your application but it's sold as a "kit" to detect water leakage and shut off the main when that occurs.

There are folks that also make motorized actuators for standard ball valves, search for "motorized valve controller" at Amazon to see what they offer.

Back