Which way is best?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flarob

Reaction score
Hello...I live in an older house on a well and septic. The main enters a utility room where it feeds the house and water heater. There have been some "modifications" that have left the piping looking like a bowl of spaghetti. I'm renovating the room and want to clean up the exposed lines.
Looking at the wall,
The main is on the left.
The cold feed in the middle.
Water heater on the right.
The hot water is dedicated from heater to house.
Does it matter if I connect in that sequence? main, cold in, heater.
Or do I have to go directly to WH and tee back to cold in?
Thanks

Thanks Frodo,
After a bit of troubleshooting I found the culprit. The reason I asked about the hookup was that I added new h/c lines to washer in same room. I had tested the elements and knew all was good there but for some reason I was getting warm water on both the cold and hot side inside the house. If I closed the cold valve to the washer I had hot water all day long everywhere. Conversely, same with hot closed and cold open. Long story a little shorter, before I cleaned up the lines I had only used cold water to the washer from the old utility sink faucet utilizing a "Y" pipe with a single line to the washer. Once I installed valves for hot and cold, I hooked the "Y" pipe to them and the single end to the washer. Should work the same right? Nope. It was actually creating a loop causing the cold water to be forced back to the tank and into the house. Or at least I think that's what was happening. The old hookup had one faucet valve off because it leaked. I had forgotten about that. So everything good with that for now. And no it doesn't matter if the line to feed the house is first or after the water heater as long as its on the cold side. Thanks

Back