which waste drain do Pro's recommend?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i4ni

Reaction score
Hello from Newbie D.i.y homeowner. I,m seeking advice from the Pro's on which waste drain (Manufacturer,Material,and which Plug or Stopper style)they prefer and recommend.I'm installing a Kohler Devonshire drop in bubble tub above an unfinished basement storage room so l will have access from below. I despise the trip lever style drains and the hair balls that hang up in them.I like the toe tap style except they never stay properly adjusted very long in my case. I'm thinking of going with either a push- pull or a lift and turn as they look more reliable to me although I have never used them. Is heavy brass the best option or can i get a heavy brass basket and go sch. 40 glue up for the rest of waste drain overflow? I'm not opposed to using a rubber Fernco type coupler in the overflow pipe to help avoid a leak at the overflow gasket. Any help would be great Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply.The Proflo looks like it uses the plastic ferrules.Is that correct? I dont know if I'm not tightning the plastic Ferrule type fittings correctly but I've had some bad luck with them so I'm quite gun shy when it comes to using them. I know they are used a lot so I'm probably not doing something right but I'm gonna pass. No offense meant of course.Any other suggestions Thanks

I can't help you other than to say, "what isn't plastic these days?" Hell, even the pop up and tailpiece to my Moen faucet seems to be plastic!

I see Proflo has quite a few other products to choose from besides the one shown,my apology's for jumping the gun.

As far as the push -pull versus the lift and turn drain plug is one better than the other?

Thanks for the quick reply.The Proflo looks like it uses the plastic ferrules.Is that correct? I dont know if I'm not tightning the plastic Ferrule type fittings correctly but I've had some bad luck with them so I'm quite gun shy when it comes to using them. I know they are used a lot so I'm probably not doing something right but I'm gonna pass. No offense meant of course.Any other suggestions Thanks

plastic ferrule?

are you referring to the strainer assembly that screws into the shoe?

it is metal

proflo.jpeg

No. I was referring to that style of pipe that is shown in the picture that uses the nut and ferrule to make the connections. I assumed that you were talking about that whole assembly as what you recommended where as I believe you were just using it as an example to check out their product line. My mistake.

Latest posts

Back