Which Toilet Flange Should I Use?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stwax

Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to install a new toilet flange. FYI - I'm probably using the wrong words to what I'm referring to. The previous flange was likely ABS (black) going into the elbow (also black - from the early 1980s) with a metal ring where the toilet bolts hooked to which had all rusted out. I cut an chipped out the old flange (even the part that was down in the elbow). It appears the elbow part coming out of the floor measures 4" from outside rim to outside rim.

I purchased two new ABS flanges.
  • One is all ABS (no metal) that fits 3" or 4" ABS and it fits INTO the existing elbow. However, it only seems to go down into the elbow about an inch and a half before the flange part seats on the tile floor (it does not go all the way down the bevel).
  • The other is ABS with a metal flange that the toilet connects to and also fits 3" and 4" ABS. BUT, this one does not fit INTO the elbow but rather, is flush with it - it's the same size, so it won't seat into it - it only sits on top of it. My guess is I'd need a 3.5" inch ABS insert pipe (the inside diameter of the ABS flange and the elbow) to bridge the two.

It seems like a flange that fits into the elbow would be better than one that has to be bridged. My question is, is one better than the other? Is it okay if the one flange only reaches about 1.5" into the elbow?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

tempImagexZ10jD.pngtempImage5NLrto.pngtempImageC5E5CK.pngtempImageUjViMK.png

Last edited:
Thanks CT18. I believe you are suggesting I use the 2nd flange I mentioned above and slide a 4" pipe down inside the elbow and that flange can sit over/around the top end of the 4" pipe? So, both ends of the 4" pipe would serve as a male end going into a female elbow at the floor and a female flange. Do I understand you correctly?

Curious, why wouldn't you use the other flange that fits into the inside the elbow? It's a nice tight fit, I just wasn't sure it reached long enough into the elbow.

Last edited:
Whatever you do the top of the closet flange has to be flush with your tile floor. if its just a little lower it won't hurt. Once you
glue it in the fitting will probably slide in farther. If its not where you want it after gluing get it pulled out of the fitting
right away.

Whatever you do the top of the closet flange has to be flush with your tile floor. if its just a little lower it won't hurt. Once you
glue it in the fitting will probably slide in farther. If its not where you want it after gluing get it pulled out of the fitting
right away.
I was under the impression the toilet flange would sit on top of the tile/finished floor.

Your correct. The flange fitting won't have to go in as far. But if you get the flange glued all the way in and if its flush with
the floor that will work too. I just use the wax ring with a horn.

Your correct. The flange fitting won't have to go in as far. But if you get the flange glued all the way in and if its flush with
the floor that will work too. I just use the wax ring with a horn.
TomFOhio - If I use the 1st flange that has a fitting that fits inside the elbow (male to female) but it only goes about an inch and a half into the elbow, that should provide sufficient contact to prevent leaks?

So the flange you bought is made to go into that elbow fitting, correct. Yes if all you can get is an 1 1/2 that will be
enough to seal it. Put plenty of abs cement in the elbow fitting and also around the pipe going into it. Don't forget
to fasten the flange to the floor after its glued in.

So the flange you bought is made to go into that elbow fitting, correct. Yes if all you can get is an 1 1/2 that will be
enough to seal it. Put plenty of abs cement in the elbow fitting and also around the pipe going into it. Don't forget
to fasten the flange to the floor after its glued in.
Thank you.

Back