Which pump to choose?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ13

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am building car washing bay and need advice what type of pumping system i have to choose.
Basically water inlet will be flush with the ground. We have a concrete ramp where piping is installed.
We need totally 2 pumps: 1st where the water enters, pump needs to pump the water into oil/water separator. 2nd pump is when water is filtered, it needs to be pumped vertically up and then horizontally to the final drain.
Here is the image scheme to make it easier. Can anyone recommend best solution/pump types/links maybe? Can we use just a pumps without any additional collection tanks? BTW: water will not be constant, i mean that inlet will either have water or not, depending we washing the car or not. I assume we need pump with some control module that it only turns on when water is detected.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 13.18.14.png

Try zoeller pump web site or Liberty pumps you could also check pump manufacturer that handle waste from laboratory waste you need something that will withstand corrosive materials

Normally the way this is done is with a deep concrete pit (like 5’ deep) where you show the 20cm floor drain. In many modern installations the first oil separation is done there before the effluent flows into one or more additional settling tanks.

Here in the USA 🇺🇸 many states and local jurisdictions have protocols in place for dealing with car wash effluent. Some require costly processing equipment.

Car wash bays generate a considerable amount of sludge. That sludge is smelly and toxic. In fact in the USA, you must apply for and get an EPA site license. You must have a licensed toxic waste hauler vacuum those pits regularly. The property owner has “cradle to grave” responsibility for the sludge. The sludge is hauled away, placed in a large centrifuge to separate the oil/grease from the sludge and then the remaining sludge is dried and placed in a landfill. The oil is sent to a re-refiner to process into “cheap” motor oil for industrial use.

I don’t see how a 20cm drain pit is sufficient or proper to catch the sludge.

I owned a car wash with five bays and dealt with these things all the time.

Because of the above, with all the sludge, you were going to want a class of pump called a trash pump.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back