Which button is which flush?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterOfNone

Reaction score
My toilet has a 2-button flush. I'm confused:

When I see the little blue button, I think "It's for #1 and will use less water."

But you can't push the little blue button down without also pushing the big chromed one down too. It's the big chromed one that can be pushed down on its own. Pushing both buttons together makes me think "will use more water" whereas pushing one of the buttons makes me think "will use less water."

So my intuition based on the color/size of the buttons is conflicting with my intuition based on the mechanical behavior of the buttons when pressed.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Which button does what?

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

Found something at http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Dual_Flush_Toilets.php
It appears that you might have a Glacier Bay toilet, but I'm not sure which one.
Looks like the fewer bumps means less water. but if you can't push just the smaller one, I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe it is jammed?

If you are pushing both buttons, that's full flush. Single button is half flush. If still confused, take the lid off and press the buttons on the mechanism and see what uses more water

Maker of toilet and type if you are able.

Found something at http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Dual_Flush_Toilets.php
It appears that you might have a Glacier Bay toilet, but I'm not sure which one.
Looks like the fewer bumps means less water. but if you can't push just the smaller one, I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe it is jammed?

If you are pushing both buttons, that's full flush. Single button is half flush. If still confused, take the lid off and press the buttons on the mechanism and see what uses more water

It's a Glacier Bay 215-583. Yes, it looks like the blue button is supposed to be a half flush: with the lid off, if I press that button on the mechanism manually, not all the water is drained from the tank. Not clear how that's supposed to work if it takes the other button down with it. I'll keep tinkering I guess.

OK, update:

I took the lid off and simulated a "little blue button" flush by pressing both mechanisms, and then a chromed big button flush by pressing just the "full flush" mechanism. The blue button flush only flushed some of the water from the tank while the chromed button flushed all the water.

So apparently everything works fine and the way the buttons look--not the way they press--determines their function. Strange design, but oh well.

Back