Where to buy square valve handles

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewsmith

Reaction score
Hi

I have a question that should be stupid easy but for some reason it's taking me nearly a year to get an answer to, I don't understand why...

I bought a house and it has a couple of shut-off valves on the gas lines. It says on the appliances to turn off the gas in case of an emergency - but there are no valve handles. I'm sure I could go and get my adjustable wrench and adjust it and use that but I figure it's not something I want to do in case of an emergency :)

The missing valve handles are 12mm and 14mm squares (I suspect these are ball valves). Problem is I can't find a place or a person to sell me replacements! Where would you look for that?

I live in Toronto (Canada).

Thanks in advance.

Identify the valve, post close ups of valve and any markings. we may help

then contact the manufacture, if not, you will have to buy the whole valve

one other option, with picture in hand, visit a local plumbing company, he might have a junk pile

Here's what they look like:

Gasvalve1.jpg

Gasvalve2.jpg

This is confusing to me, why wouldn't they just sell these things? It's not like some weird or secure key, it's just a square! One would think it's a common enough need that someone would sell them.

Get a 14mm and a 12mm wrench and attach them with a string or small chain.

14mm wrench.png

Ha! Thanks guys!

I should have figured that one out :)

I guess what confused me is the paperwork that says to turn off the gas supply in case of an emergency. I have wrenches in the house, but I wonder how many other people do :)

In fact I think I may have one that's 12mm on one end and 14 on the other.

well at least you're planning ahead.
I run into a lot of people. Lived in their home for many years and have NOT a Clue as to where to shut off their water or gas.

Latest posts

Back