When To Let Apprentice Run Calls Alone?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All our plumbers communicate with the others, so im guessing their quotes were all about the same.
Was the work inspected by the local code enforcement ? Of course not.

How can you expect similar prices when one party isn’t playing by the rules ?

It is common practice for the homeowner to pull all permits and deal with the city. The minimum fee for a permitted job is in excess of $1000. As I understand it, repairs do not need permitted, only new construction/remodel. I've bought and sold many houses and unpermitted projects are not even looked at.

It is common practice for the homeowner to pull all permits and deal with the city. The minimum fee for a permitted job is in excess of $1000. As I understand it, repairs do not need permitted, only new construction/remodel. I've bought and sold many houses and unpermitted projects are not even looked at.
Do you live in Mexico ?

I guess you understand that inspections are for safety reasons ? How does that line up with the rules in your city ?

So if it’s a $500 gas line job it doesn’t require licenses or permits ? I think the state would have a thing or two to say about that. Maybe not and that’s why your plumbing market is trash.

The local contractor sounds like he survives by necessity so his prices are high when he gets called in. That basically tells him no one else can or will do it. You have to turn a profit to stay in business so the people who do call pay for the ones who don’t.

If their prices were realistic, they would be utilized. My plumbing friend (was a friend, now an idiot i wont talk to anymore) charged me $2400 for a 2 hour job. He said i was rich, he was poor, and he wanted to retire like me. Honest to God, that was his reasoning! I referred him a dozen times, got him 3 full repipes, several sink and faucet jobs, but he treated me like this? Nope, he is dead to me.

Trust me, im not knocking plumbers in general. In my area of So Cal, they have outpriced themselves way outside the market. When my own neighbor was charged $850 to change out two faucets, and neighbor purchased them, he no longer will use any plumbers in the area. I offered to do it for free, but his wife didn’t want me in her cabinets.

I recently raised my prices and cut my hours. Work less for more money is my objective. There will be some customers that will not like it and that’s good because they won’t call and I’ll get more off hours. But when I work I’ll be earning more, charging more.

I raised rates 25% and 35% on material. I’m still busy as I want to be and I’m able to give better service since I’m working less. Quicker appointment times and more choice of what time of day. I’m fresh and in a better mood. It’s a win win

Just curious, On the topic of plumbing apprentices, in every state, are they required to take classroom training + monitored (evaluated) with on the job experiences? Does one get to a journeyman title by being an apprentice for some period of time or is there some field evaluation done?

Back