What's you Favorite Pipe sealant?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrInfoPhilly

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to know whats your favorite pipe sealant and method...
Personally I like Mega-tape or Monster tape, (6-7) wraps., and T Plus 2 Rectorseal.

I've gotten away with Tplus 2 only when in an emergency.

High quality high density .0035" from any good mfr.
As Blue Monster tape says: three wraps for most threads, and four if I am caring more.
Then depending on the application, maybe -following the fire sprinkler fitters - a touch of a sealant, just dashed on partially.
Hardest time historically getting good seal was 2" stainless steel process piping in a heated oil application. Those threads wanted to leak after frequent heating cooling cycles.

I only rarely use tape and prefer/have had better results with PTFE paste. The paste is also easier to apply for my old arthritic hands...

One experience I had was using dope only., rectorseal true blue., Megaloc., I applied on threads., and it leaked., But Tplus 2 held tight. So I can't personally say any dope works... But I will use Yellow 5 if I need something to Set and cure.

I also like to start at Least 1 thread or 2 back from the edge with the Tape... Apparently some people start on the edge... What about You guys?

I also like to start at Least 1 thread or 2 back from the edge with the Tape... Apparently some people start on the edge... What about You guys?
If you put Teflon on the first thread it gets cut off and can foul the system.

One experience I had was using dope only., rectorseal true blue., Megaloc., I applied on threads., and it leaked., But Tplus 2 held tight. So I can't personally say any dope works... But I will use Yellow 5 if I need something to Set and cure.
It may have been the pieces you were assembling rather than a problem with the pipe dope.

I used to be able to find this Teflon thread tape called La-Co. I think it was a little bit thicker than most that you will find but not as thick as the gas tape. At the car wash I owned there were a lot of small threaded fittings and that tape came in both quarter inch wide as well as the standard half inch wide. My car wash repair guy always added Loctite 577 thread sealant on taped fittings. I always followed his lead. Every repair he made was always perfect and nothing ever leaked. This particular thread tape and sealant is for more industrial than residential plumbing thus were a little bit more costly.

Last edited:
"WWAAYYY back when" in the mills we had a white lead paste used to lubricate open bearings on large (8" to 12") line shafts. The steamfitters often used it as a pipe dope--maybe that's where the "dope" part came from?

tite seal 55 for water systems that people might drink from 1664223889258.png
masters metallic for gas oil heating pipes

1664223906474.png

Years ago plumbers sometimes used plumbers putty mixed with paint. Or just lead paint.
Not to date my age, but when I apprenticed, the plumbers all carried a jar containing a bit of partially dried linseed oil paint with talcum powder mixed in. A hog's hair flux brush, stored in a wax sandwich bag, was the applicator.

Then came the black joint compound whose name escapes me. It's the "never gonna get the joint apart" product.

If you have a threaded joint that you absolutely can't seal, a very last resort is Supco's blue LeakLock. Refrigeration people use it often. The joint will be hard to disassemble later.
Paul

Thank you both for the replies. I have a water heater that has a leak on the inner tank somewhere. I checked all the fittings ports and no leaks. Never saw a tank leak before.must be rust somewhere. It's running down between the tank and outer shell, just a slow drip.

I'm also a Rectorseal #5 guy.

Ink Stain, how old is your water heater. I've seen way more leaks at the top of the tank instead of side wall leaks.

It's about 6 to 7 years old. I've checked every place where plugs , pipes etc. Are screwed in around the threads and there's no leaks. There's really no way to see exactly where the leak is it's just running down the side somewhere to the base pan. With the insulation between the tank and outer shell you can't see anything.

This is what I have been using for years. It has teflon in it.

Attachments

• Pipe Dope.png
    Pipe Dope.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 0
Back