What Wax Ring?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishScreener

Reaction score
I have two early 1970s Koehler, wall hung residential toilets, which are 4-gallons per flush. I double checked teh volume by pouring in water from the sink using a pitcher with markings on it. 4-gallons, plus a little over a pint to fill from dry. 4-gallons to refill after a flush. They are what is now cataloged as “Dusty Rose”. Previous owner redecorated the baths ignoring the pink. My Siblings say that this is one of those occasions, I’m lucky to be color blind. But, she did the colors to match plain white toilets.

I tracked down two suitable white, early 2000s, Kohler wall hung replacements.

I’m getting ready to do a change out, and need to know what size wax rings to get.

And, yes I know they don’t meet the current code, gpf requirements. But in ten years of looking these are the first white units which fit the existing Koehler flange, which appears to be proprietary. I found these at a Habitat For Humanity Restore in Hamilton Montana. Hopefully, when I pull the old ones off and inspect things I won’t find any leaks, or rot, and everything is still tight and solid.

If things inside the wall aren’t right, this simple weekend project will instantly have a huge case of scope creep. I was asking one of the local plumbers, over coffee, and he was unsure of what ring to get.

The owner of a local shop that does anything electrical, mechanical or plumbing, volunteered, that he did the rough in when he was in high school working for his dad, and if it had leaked to call him, he’d come fix It.

He explained that, it was his first job with ABS, working on his own. And, that it took him twice as long as his Dad thought it should because he de-burred, dry fit, and double checked everything. If it had leaked he’d fix it, even after fifty years.

Latest posts

Back