What the heck is this steel tank for? and can I remove it?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallsts

Reaction score
I started to remove an old chimney that is no longer in use in our 1939 house and ran into this metal tank behind the sheetrock that encased the chimney. there is an additional metal line coming out the bottom and all three lines go into the crawlspace.

Could someone let me know what might be lurking inside this tank? Can I safely remove it without worrying about it being a gas or oil tank? It looks like there are plumbing lines running out and into it but I wanted to get someones 'expert' opinion before I start removing lines. Any photo links to something similar would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for helping me identify it!

IMG00160-20110707-1501.jpg

Looks like an old passive water pre-heater which somewhat warms the water by the fireplace before getting hot in a boiler. Without tracing every line in and out of it, this would only be a guess. I myself would swallow my pride and have a professional come in to confirm it is safe to remove. It may cost a few bucks, but your safety is paramount!

Would you hire a plumber? if not, who else would you recommend? Sounds like a good guess to me...

If you can confirm all lines leading to and from this tank are water, it would probably be safe to remove yourself, provided you have the abilities. What you need to be concerned with is any signs of asbestos or old fuel oil.

I myself am not a plumber but do most all of my own repairs myself, but I would personally give one of my local plumbers a call to confirm this information. I would also explain everything else you are planning to do, and he will give you tips which might end up saving you lots of money in the long run.

Back