What code do I reference?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madc0w

Reaction score
I am trying to appease a building inspector in Pasadena, Ca. regarding a gas h2o htr in a basement. What is the actual publication they use, so I can read up. Is it the 2010 ca uniform plumbing code, or the 2011 inter mch code, or what?

gas code, its a gas appliance so itfalls under tha gas code, plumbing has nothing to o with it.

It's a gas water heater, but what code are you trying to meet? Water or gas? What are the building inspectors concerns? A gas fired, power vent hot water tank or tankless could involve a variety of concerns. Please be a little more specific.:)

I have a house w/ a four plex in the back rented out. The city of pasadena inspects all residential rental property, every four years. So this time around, they decided three of th the 5 heaters(gas w a tank) were new enough to require permits. To further complicate things, the house from the 1910's, has its htr in the basement.
I already ran 2 pipers per htr from theptr valve And from the pan underneath out of the buildings and 6" above grade. Except for the one in the basement. Its already below grade. So the part where it must run down hill, and cant go up at all, is difficult. So i put in a watts 210 valve on it. But it also req's a pr valve some where on the hot side. I first tried to put on ton the hose bib near the the basement. Anyways this is what im trying to research. Thanks.

The heaters should have come with a Temperature and Pressure Relief Valve. Assuming that is installed correctly, the other thing that you need to provide for is thermal expansion. To put is simply, as the water heater heats the water inside of it, the water expands and builds up pressure. The excess pressure can damage the plumbing system, and/or cause the T&P valve to release. Either a thermal expansion valve (which is nothing more than an adjustable pressure relief valve) or a thermal expansion tank can be used to accommodate this. I personally prefer an expansion tank. The most common installation for these is in the piping to the water heater. Does this help answer your question?

Back