What caulk to use to seal water pipe through basement wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoshenPlumber

Goshen Plumber
Reaction score
I need caulk or another material recommendation.

My 1 inch plastic water pipe comes through my basement wall inside a plastic sleeve. Where the pipe comes through the wall, the space between the inside of the sleeve and the outside of the pipe is caulked with some kind of caulk (silicone?) to prevent ground water from coming through the sleeve. The seal between the caulk and pipe is broken due to recent plumbing work & some ground water is dripping between sleeve & pipe due to recent heavy rains. Once this dries, I need to replace this caulk with the best material I can buy.

What should I use? 100% silicon caulk similar to GE Silicone II? Silicone Rubber? Plumbers Goop? Or something else?

What you should use is a hydraulic cement. It will actually stop water when it's flowing. It sets up very quickly and has to be mixed just right. But once you get it in place, no water is going to come through.

The brand name I'm familiar with from years ago was Dyke Cement.

I do not think hydraulic cement will work in this application. See the image. Comments?

Bsement water line.JPG

Back