Well Pump Pressure - No Water!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTaxButler

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. Several days ago I noticed a marked drop in water pressure for the house. Now the house no longer has water. I have researched other threads with similar symptoms but unfortunately wasn't able to match my own issues for private well systems.

We have a 44 Gal well tank and a 30/50 pressure regulator. Well Pump is powered through pressure reg. to a Quick Disconnect panel in the laundry room. I can confirm power is going to the pump but I have not tested voltage on the panel OR the pressure regulator. Initial troubleshooting appears to show tank holding pressure. What I have done so far:

Shut off water to house after regulator. Turned off Pump power. As soon as pump power is turned off the pressure gauge for the line drops to 0. I can hear the water draining in the line & from what I've read this doesn't appear to be normal. Could this be a defective Check Valve? I don't see anything appearing to be a check valve in the house near the tank

0 pressure at power off.jpeg

check valve? house side.jpeg
Could this be a check valve or is it just a fitting?

Next step when attempting to drain the well tank, no water comes out, only air. Presumably because the water has already drained back into Well pipe due to faulty check valve? Not sure. Tank pressure shows holding 28psi, which would match the cut in PSI for the regulator.

Since this issue started I have noticed an increased presence of rust in the inline home sediment filter. Maybe due to pressure kicking loose debris from pressure tank but not sure.

inline filter rust.jpg

When closing drain valve and restoring power to well pump the pressure gauge reads about 27-28 PSI. No matter how much time passes pressure doesn't build enough to turn off pump. When system is completely open the pressure gauge reads 20-25 psi.

pump on PSI.jpeg

I have not yet pulled the well cap to determine if pipe or plastic was used. I have no documentation from previous owners on any work done for the well.

Attachments

• well pipe inside.jpeg
    well pipe inside.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You have a hole in the drop pipe. Most likely a couple inches above the pump in a metal fitting. If it were a check valve problem it would still get to full pressure and shut off, it would just come right back on.

You have a hole in the drop pipe. Most likely a couple inches above the pump in a metal fitting. If it were a check valve problem it would still get to full pressure and shut off, it would just come right back on
Yes the check valve right above pump was bad AND we had a hole in the drop pipe. Replaced about 60ft of pipe and everything running again.

Thanks Valveman!

Latest posts

Back