Weird lack of water!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicki

Reaction score
Hi! My water heater started leaking, so I shut off the hot water in the house, and only have the cold water running. I have a gas water heater in the garage. The house is one story. The system has a recirculating pump which returns into the drain valve. There is a shutoff just before the recirculating pump, a shutoff at the top of the hot water tank, and a house shutoff. The pump and water heater top are shut off and the only valve open is the house shutoff, so that I can get cold water. The recirculating pump is turned off. This is a plain old tract house, nothing special, no fancy plumbing.

I drained the hot water tank to get it ready to replace.

Now, the funny part. I have cold water at every outlet in the house, at full pressure, including the toilet refills. But there is NO cold water coming out of the bathtub and shower in one bathroom (there is in the other bathroom)! Does not matter the position of the valves in the bathroom, there is no water. Sink fixtures in the same bathroom have plenty of (cold) water.

I bled all the cold water lines, no air coming out.

Makes no sense to me. Can anyone explain?

Probably a Pressure balancing faucet, if one side has no pressure the other will trickle at best.

Thanks! That has to be it! After getting the hot water back on, everything is back to normal....however...there is still the question as to why one tub with the same faucet as the rest continued to dispense cold water, when the other two in the house were locked up.... :) However, I am THANKFUL, because otherwise I would not have been able to even take a cold shower. I could understand if it happened to all faucets, but with one working it just didn't make any sense.

Back