Water Test Results... Hesitant to install a Calcite pH Neutralizer filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaineMud

Reaction score
New house (2 years in) well water tested just recently and found that water is actually TOO soft, has high Iron and high Magnese and slightly low PH. I currently ONLY have an inline sediment filter after the expansion tank. Here's the test results and then my thoughts as to what I should do.

Hardness: 59.8 mg CaC303/L (below 74 mg/l is considered soft, 76 to 150 mg/l is considered moderately hard)

Iron 1.00 mg/l (limit of 0.3)

Manganese 0.254 mg/l (limit of 0.05)

PH 6.8 @ 74.8 deg F (water sample having a pH less than 7.0 tends to be corrosive)

My thought is:

1: Put a spin down filter in place of the current sediment filter (changing a 25 micron filter byi-weekly)
2: Install an Iron Filter with auto backwashing
3: Install a Calcite pH Neutralizer filter with auto backwashing capability
4: Install a water softener with salt brine tank for auto backwashing

Yes my PH level is not that low but my Hardness is very low and the affects being shown in showering, washing clothes etc. thus my concern of using a Calcite pH Neutralizer filter as it will raise the PH level. Sooooo.... that is my reasoning for installing a water softener after the Calcite pH Neutralizer filter - control ph level.

I do not and will not bring in a company that will upsell a filtering system that I can possibly design and instlall myself. (LOL)

Any input is appreciated.

Back