water stagnation cause pipe corrosion?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin

Reaction score
As I mentioned in an earlier post I plan on having my water shut off for a few months with the furnace on during some renovations. Now I have been thinking about the possibility of some detrimental effects to my copper piping by doing this. Is this a possibility or am I over stressing this? I suppose I could hire someone to come assist me with blowing out the pipes? I am not very familiar with plumbing and have been concerned with all the grey areas.

DUDE!!!! turn the water off go have a good time!!!!

My concern came from watching this: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5lMITzx_Y[/ame]

In this video they seem to suggest that water stagnation (turning water off for months without draining the pipes) may cause pipe corrosion turning into a leak. That freaked me out!

I believe, I suggested, 10 pages back. to BLOW the system down, drain the heater, turn off the gas/elec to heater. add antifreeze to p-traps

if you do not feel comfortable doing it, call a plumbing co. tell them to winterise your system

they will do just what i suggested you do.

Reactions: SHR
Back