Water leakage in basement?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somar Deal

Reaction score
It’s been raining for 3 days straight here. I’m not sure if this is seepage from all of the rain or coming from the water line. Any thoughts? We also have water coming up through the front of our garage between the concrete slab and wall. So I’m not entirely sure for this one. 7AD7091D-C7EE-4F5F-B71E-3AFD8F6B303A.jpeg2992B442-556A-41AF-8DD6-7CAA6C6224CC.jpeg

Occam’s razor says it’s your water table getting higher and seeping in, if it’s still there a week after the rain stops then you can worry.

I don't know exactly where you are, but your drain pipe looks like what they do here in NC. Through the wall. I think you have three things going on but you can only control two of them. First is all the rain. Cannot do anything about that. Second is the sealing of the pipe on the outside of the home. My new home (2019 build) had such a leak in 2020. The contractors that did the sealing came back, dug up around the foundation to expose the seal, removed all the old (just a year or two old!) and replaced all the sealing. The third thing you can check/do (always part of a home inspection) is to ensure you have all surface water (including roof water from downspouts) draining AWAY from the foundation. This means re-grading maybe, and diversion with downspout extensions.

In home inspections I've seen new homes with improper grading, towards the foundation, with no downspout extensions. It doesn't take much for water to enter in those conditions. Block foundations are the worst, but small cracks in poured walls (along with penetrations) cause issues.

FWIW in Michigan where I came from, there's almost never any penetrations in a foundation wall; frost line is 48"- 60" below grade, so drain pipes go UNDERNEATH the footing, never through a wall. Wall penetrations like roof penetrations are just trouble waiting to happen.

I don't know exactly where you are, but your drain pipe looks like what they do here in NC. Through the wall. I think you have three things going on but you can only control two of them. First is all the rain. Cannot do anything about that. Second is the sealing of the pipe on the outside of the home. My new home (2019 build) had such a leak in 2020. The contractors that did the sealing came back, dug up around the foundation to expose the seal, removed all the old (just a year or two old!) and replaced all the sealing. The third thing you can check/do (always part of a home inspection) is to ensure you have all surface water (including roof water from downspouts) draining AWAY from the foundation. This means re-grading maybe, and diversion with downspout extensions.

In home inspections I've seen new homes with improper grading, towards the foundation, with no downspout extensions. It doesn't take much for water to enter in those conditions. Block foundations are the worst, but small cracks in poured walls (along with penetrations) cause issues.

FWIW in Michigan where I came from, there's almost never any penetrations in a foundation wall; frost line is 48"- 60" below grade, so drain pipes go UNDERNEATH the footing, never through a wall. Wall penetrations like roof penetrations are just trouble waiting to happen.
Funny enough I’m in Wake Forest NC. It’s a 2021 build. The water dissipated within 24hrs post rain stopping. I have the builder coming to check it out and reseal it. Thanks for all of your help!

Latest posts

Back