Water leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pluc09

Reaction score
Please some one give me some answers. I changed the handle cause it broke. But I accidentally took off an extra piece underneath handle that had water pressure. I’m not sure if it may just be a gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_1819.MOV
    9 MB
I was able to view the video but only after downloading to my computer. When you say "handle" do you mean a water control valve or the shower diverter tub spout? With the water completely turned off, does the leak from behind the tile at the interface to the tub stop? If it does, it looks like the tub diverter spout is not properly installed on the copper pipe coming out of the wall and needs to be replaced/repaired. Fix it soon because there is no telling where that water is getting into behind the tile!!

Last edited:
I was able to view the video but only after downloading to my computer. When you say "handle" do you mean a water control valve or the shower diverter tub spout? With the water completely turned off, does the leak from behind the tile at the interface to the tub stop? If it does, it looks like the tub diverter spout is not properly installed on the copper pipe coming out of the wall and needs to be replaced/repaired. Fix it soon because there is no telling where that water is getting into behind the tile!!
Water stops when turned off

The tub spout needs to be replaced. I've done it in the past myself and
Water stops when turned off
The tub spout is not sealing to the copper pipe coming out of the wall. I've done it myself in the past and know that the copper stub needs to be squeaky clean and with no gouges or burrs in the copper. I used a strip of ultra fine emery cloth to clean up the pipe before installing the new one.

On a fun note, if the caulk had been up to snuff you would have never known about the leak because all the water would have gone into the wall!

Last edited:
The tub spout needs to be replaced. I've done it in the past myself and

The tub spout is not sealing to the copper pipe coming out of the wall. I've done it myself in the past and know that the copper stub needs to be squeaky clean and with no gouges or burrs in the copper. I used a strip of ultra fine emery cloth to clean up the pipe before installing the new one.

On a fun note, if the caulk had been up to snuff you would have never known about the leak because all the water would have gone into the wall!
I agree about the caulk.

Back