Water leak from anode rod?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandmdiet

Reaction score
I performed some routine maintenance on my water heater about 6 months ago as recommended by my water heater manual. Everything seemed to go just fine, but a few days after the maintenance I noticed some water on the ground. I looked for what could have caused the water but couldn't find anything that looked like it was leaking. I thought maybe it was something to do with the softener and that I would wait to see if it got worse. After that first time it never leaked again. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that there is water pooled on the top of the heater where the anode rod is installed. I did remove and replace the anode rod as part of the routine maintenance I mentioned earlier and did so according to the instructions in my water heater manual.

My question is, what should I do? Should I remove and reinstall the anode rod again? Buy a new one and install it? What could be causing the leak there? I did feel like I might have overtightened it when I replaced it because when I was removing it, it was very tight and I tried to get it about the same. I may not have put any of that white tape stuff on the threads (I can't actually remember). Attached is a picture of what it looks like. It definitely has NOT been leaking more as that orange-colored substance is dry and the floor has not gotten wet again since that first time I noticed it.

Appreciate any and all help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_005951206.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230904_005951206.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
Piping threads always need a thread sealer, pipe joint compound and/or Teflon tape wrapped in the CORRECT direction. If it stopped leaking, then probably you are good...nothing about dried rust will be a problem.

Thanks @breplum, for my own curiosities sake, is it normal for a water heater to leak a half a cup of water or so after reinstalling an anode rod and repressurizing the water heater? What could cause something to leak initially but then stop? That's strange to me. I think I'll go clean up the spill just so I can monitor that little anode rod opening for small leaks.

OK, thanks for that information. So, it sounds like I'm good to leave it alone and that I should probably just make sure to properly seal the threaded joint the next time I do the hot water heater maintenance. I think the manual says to do it somewhat regularly.

How did the anode rod look when you redid it? and how many years since new?

The anode on our tank has been replaced twice by me. The first time I had a terrible time getting the replacement rod to stop leaking on reinstallation. It had to come out several times while I tried different amounts of tape, dope, tape with dope, until something (I don't recall what) finally worked. The second time I used a 3/4" NPT tap to clean out the threads after removing the old anode. Not cut new threads, just run the tap in and out with minimal force until the threads were clean. I also used a toothbrush and some clean water to brush out the threads, being very very very careful not to drop the brush in the tank! The 2nd anode threaded in easily, then tightened down with a socket, and it never leaked a drop. The same cleaning method was applied to the T & P valve, which was removed to provide access for a PEX hose to flush the tank, and then replaced. It too went in and sealed nicely.

My guess was that the problems earlier might have been due to crud left in the threads, something hard, like a flake of rust, which was preventing a good seal. But I can't rule out the possibility that the first anode, which was such a problem, might have had threads which were not cut well, so that much more sealant was needed to obtain a watertight and pressure resistant fit.

Last edited:
Back