Water Heater - water temperature issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 year old Rheem electric water heater that will produce warm water most of the time [even with the thermostat set high]. Sometimes it's HOT but most of the times it's warm....it varies. I have disassembled and cleaned the shower cartridge, checked the pipe openings behind the cartridge, adjusted the shower valve setting, drained the water heater and removed the sediment that was in there, checked the heating elements and they are intact and seeing the proper voltage. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Either your water heater is heating and delivering the correct amount of hot water or it isn’t.

You could possibly have a cross connection between hot and cold.

Turn the cold water off to the water heater and then open a lavatory faucet on the hot side only and the water should stop after the initial pressure is let off of the system.

If it doesn’t stop, that’s your problem.

Last edited:
Either your water heater is heating and delivering the correct amount of hot water or it isn’t.

Turn the cold water off to the water heater and then open a lavatory faucet on the hot side only and the water should stop after the initial pressure is let off of the system.

Ok, will try that first. Thank you !!!!

Ok, will try that first. Thank you !!!!

I tried it....the water shuts off immediately.

It sounds like your bottom element could be bad.
Is there a way to check that? I did a continuity test and it was good....I'm assuming it could still be bad....

Sarg recommended that I use a tune-up kit....sound like I'm moving in that direction based upon the testing and feedback.

Use a clamp on amp meter and check the amperage at each element while it’s thermostat is calling for heat.

9F2C2FE7-8FEF-42FC-905A-CBF311F86924.jpeg

Here it is in action. Check the top and bottom element.

Once you get your amp reading, check your voltage.

Divide the element wattage by your measured voltage. The resulting answer should match your amperage reading.

Watts divided by volts = amperage.

If your amperage is high or low, that indicates a problem.

Amperage draw shows how much work ( heating ) is being done.

Last edited:
Also did you take the wires off when you checked the element. If you are getting warm water at all the faucets
check and make sure the hot side of the water connection coming out of the tank is not plugged. You'll have to take it apart
to find this out.

Also did you take the wires off when you checked the element. If you are getting warm water at all the faucets
check and make sure the hot side of the water connection coming out of the tank is not plugged. You'll have to take it apart
to find this out.
I did remove the wires when checking the elements...they were all securely replaced.

View attachment 40799

Here it is in action. Check the top and bottom element.

Once you get your amp reading, check your voltage.

Divide the element wattage by your measured voltage. The resulting answer should match your amperage reading.

Watts divided by volts = amperage.

If your amperage is high or low, that indicates a problem.

Amperage draw shows how much work ( heating ) is being done.
OK I will check that. Thank you....

Latest posts

Back