Water Heater Spraying

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmiddlicous

Reaction score
Hello,

My hot water heater keeps spraying a good amount of water. I put a tuber ware below it to catch it it seems to be about a gallon. I lowered the heat and still slight dripping coming from it when its not spraying...... Is it a bad pressure valve? or should I install an expansion tank?

But sounds like a bad relief valve

Relief Valves don't seem to cost to much and looks like something I could easily do my self..... expansion loop or tank I am thinking might be my 2nd option since I am not sure I could do that myself and would have to hire a plumber.

You first need to find out why the PRV popped. Is there a dangerous accumulation of pressure building in the water heater? Spend a few bucks and I can assure you that you will sleep better at night.

I lowered the Temp to "Vacation" and also dumped about 3-4 gallons out. Still steady stream coming out. The problems didn't really start till my son flipped the test on to "see what it would do" water pressure coming into the house is bout 75psi.... I am thinking change the valve and see what happens. Since I don't have an expansions tank at the moment and we only lived here for a year now... Plus not sure if the weird Hot/Cold weather has anything to do with it.

LOL''''your heater is fine, nothing wrong with the heater.

You said your son flipped the test lever on the T&P valve?

NEVER. NEVER EVER. NEVER EVER EVER DO NOT TOUCH...LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE

tesy lever on a T&P valve. Inless you are looking to replace it.

2 things you can do. First, take a hammer and hit that SOB...NO<<<do not knock it into next week

give it a solid wack...some times it works,

what has happened, rust/trash/ calicum has gotten on the rubber diaphram inside the valve when it was opened

hitting it can/ maybe, dislodge the whatever.

if that does not work, it will have to be switched out,, $30.00 bucks at hodepot

Ok I open the valve and gave it a few good bangs.. Seems to have worked except for some small dripping that is most likely from opening the valve... If it sprays in the future should I assume that its the valve? or should I get an expansion tank installed?

Do not for one second assume everything is fine and dandy if your relief valve is blowing off. It's a safety device to protect you from serious injury or death. You ever see the destruction that happens when a water heater goes from a basement out through a roof?

Relief valves do fail from time to time. But do the proper thing and check your system over properly. Check your house pressure, and the temperature the water heater is creating. If those are good, replace the relief valve.

If your relief valve has now been tampered with and you beat it with a hammer, spend $30 and 20 minutes of your time and replace it.

Do not for one second assume everything is fine and dandy if your relief valve is blowing off. It's a safety device to protect you from serious injury or death. You ever see the destruction that happens when a water heater goes from a basement out through a roof?

Relief valves do fail from time to time. But do the proper thing and check your system over properly. Check your house pressure, and the temperature the water heater is creating. If those are good, replace the relief valve.

If your relief valve has now been tampered with and you beat it with a hammer, spend $30 and 20 minutes of your time and replace it.

Thank you Matt for saying what I have been concerned about all along!

Back