Water Hammer Arrestor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle670

Reaction score
About a year ago I installed a new shower faucet and ever since we are getting bad water hammer sound. I installed shutoff valves and mini water hammer arrestors, but it has not fixed the problem. I know it's the shower fixture b/c I can shut the valves off to it and the water hammer stops. Do u think it would help to install larger water arrestors or what else can I do to fix this?
Thanks!

some brands have a packing nut that threads over the spindle there is packing or washers behind it if the nut is loose that may cause it....another thing that will stop it is if when you shut the water off shut it off from the shower head...rather than the spout. what i meant by shuting it off was using the diverter to the shower head first then turning the valve off.its possible that there is a loose washer on
your shower valve stem.....

is this a single handle valve or 2-3 handle valve....

your hammer arrestors could have gone bad already hard to say....change them and see what happens

Last edited:
There's no packing nut on the fixture and the shower cannot be shut off by the shower head. Do u think increasing the size of the arrestor would help?

Larger water him arrestors are not likely to help from my experience; some installations just have the hydraulic aspects when you shut the valve off quickly, the hydraulic physics cause the water hammer and it can’t be eliminated.
I have seen it in situations where everything is properly strapped and secured with vibration isolation and WHArrestors.

The fixture is brand new, so I still need to replace the cartridge

Latest posts

Back