Waste fittings?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExtraMilePlumbing

Reaction score
What is the diffrence between sanitary cross and double fixture fitting (figure5).when are they uses.? Thanks

I always referenced them as the same thing but my NPT pipe trades handbook shows me the cross has barely any bend to it. I've never had a cross in my hands so I can't say for sure

Use a sanitary cross when you want the waste/soil from one fixture to backwash to another fixture. Anotherwords, almost never.

If there is a decent length of pipe between the sanitary cross and the fixture, the backwash isn't SO much of an issue.

A double fixture has a longer radius on the sweep of the fittings, thus, it tends to direct the waste down the vertical instead of across to the other fixture.

Don't count on either to properly direct a snake cable downstream, even double wyes are famous for allowing a cable to jump across.

upc code, if draining 2 fixtures back to back, or side by side you must use a fixture fitting and the barrel of the fitting
shall be 2 pipe sizes larger than the ptrap.of the fixture it serves
2 lavs with 1 1/4 traps the pipe can be 2" if you use 1 1/2 trap the pipe has to be 3"
you can use the pipe size 2 1/2" in your calculation
2 urinals. the pipe has to be 3". use a 3x2 fixture fitting

Last edited:
using upc code. the first image, shows how to plumb 2 fixtures with out using a fixture fitting
*note..when using a fixture fitting the barrel of the fitting must be 2 pipe diameters larger than the trap it serves. this is how you plumb it if some one forgot to rough in the larger pipe size

2nd picture is a fixture fitting

3rd picture is a san. cross..which in the UPC code is only a vent vent fitting

standpipeandlaundrysink2.jpg

31hJSRrj1EL.jpg

31j-X5xp4hL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
Back