Washing machine drains into bathtub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vardkin

Reaction score
Hi, all:

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help shed some light on an issue I've been troubleshooting.

Situation:
When the washing machine drains, the wastewater overflows into our bathtub.

Symptoms:
As the washing machine begins draining, you can hear the water begin to fill the drain pipe until it ultimately overflows into the bathtub.
You can smell sewer gases in the bathroom when the washing machine drains. :mad:

Attempted Solutions and history:

This started a couple years ago when we bought the house. Originally, the overflow into the bathtub was not very noticeable or severe. Gradually it began getting worse. So, we called a plumber. They came out and ran an auger through the lines. The situation improved but did not go away.

Just a month or so later, the overflow got worse again. So, we called a different plumber. They came out and ran an auger through the lines. When they tried to auger the bathtub drain they could not get the snake through the lines and confirmed my suspicions - that we would have to punch through the concrete slab to make repairs to the bathtub plumbing.

I did so and found that the trap had rotted out. So, I replaced the corroded trap with a new one and augered the line while I had great access to it. I also left the hole in the floor open for a week to make sure there were no leaks. All was well, so I backfilled and repoured the concrete. At this time the washing machine was not overflowing into the bathtub.

However, a couple of months ago this problem resurfaced and has grown more severe again. I've augered and scoped the lines with a camera. Though the 50+ year-old pipes are not the cleanest ever, I have not found any signs of blockages, collapsed pipe, or build-up.

Along with making sure that the drain lines are not blocked, I have investigated whether this was a venting issue as well. So, I've mapped out the plumbing and attached the diagram below for reference.

I've made sure that all roof vents were clear.
No other fixtures in the house have an issue.

Since the washing machine drain hose is a fairly tight fit into the downspout, I tested by removing the drain hose and inserting the garden hose into the downspout. My thinking was that this would allow plenty of air around the garden hose for venting and still allow me to run a significant amount of water into the drain for testing.

The result I got was that the bathtub gurgles a bit when the garden hose is fully on and I can hear the water attempting to fill the drain pipe. This leads me to believe that, if I could increase the flow rate of my garden hose, the water would indeed overflow into the bathtub. Which leads to my question.

Question:
Would the trap located at the base of the 2.25in washing machine downspout nullify any attempt to vent the line above the downspout? Or would venting the bathtub help?

All helpful input is greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need further details.

Thanks in advance,
-V

plumbing diagram.jpg

hows the toilet acting.....i just had an issue like this in a slab...we had the town
come out and locate the cleanout outside of the house i snaked it many times and removed lots of roots in a couple of weeks i will camera the line to see if its totally clean

in my state the vent has to be from the trap:
1 1/2 : 5ft
2 :6ft
3 :8ft
4 :10

your venting doesn't seem right but seem to have worked..ok for you in the past so i would look at the drains again is your tub laundry close to the outside wall..if so i would look at the main in the yard

Last edited:
Re-thing about your drying makes it look like whoever did the work did not have any understanding of the plumbing code. The code is there specifically to make sure what you’re experiencing never happens but clearly it was done without inspections or proper design.
This basic rule applies:.Every plumbing fixture needs a proper vent after the p-trap.
Washing machine P-trap is supposed to be 6 inches above the floor not set in concrete, then to a tee With the vent up the top Of the tea and the drain out the bottom of the tee.

Thanks for the replies.

@Geofd

The toilet is totally fine as it ties in right next to the mainline. 0 issues with it and no gurggling at all.

I also opened the main outside at the cleanout and ran an augur, camera, and cutting blade all the way to vent stack ( the vent on the main line in the diagram ). all looks good in there.

I hope yours is clean after having all of those roots in there!

@breplum

This is true - whoever did this plumbing may not have had much plumbing knowledge about the local code. However, it was done some time ago so, all that's left is to make it right.

Everything you said about the washing machine venting and trap echoes what I've found everywhere else. My suspicion is that I need to remove that trap below the slab, install a tee and vent higher on the washing machine down as you described, and tie in the washing machine properly. I just really don't want to have to hammer through the slab again :/

Latest posts

Back