Washing machine drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Brandt

Reaction score
I want to move my washing machine to the basement. I have a 4" stack and a 1-1/2" stack next to each other. Is it ok to tap into the 1-1/2" pipe? The current drain from upstairs ties into the 4" stack. I included a picture. The machine will be to the right of the pipes.

Attachments

• 20180902_093406.jpg
    20180902_093406.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Washing machine needs to drain into a 2 inch or larger drain the inch and a half pipe will not be significant enough your best bet is to tie into the 4 inch pipe and run a separate vent. Or use a air admittance valve

Last edited:
Washing machine needs to drain into a 2 inch or larger drain the inch and a half pipe will not be significant enough your best bet is to tie into the 4 inch pipe and run a separate vent. Or use a automatic air vent
If I tie in with a P trap do I still need to run a serpent vent? And what's the best easiest way to the in?

You still need a vent best bet is to use a air admittance valve

Attachments

• 20180902_222124.jpeg
    20180902_222124.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10
You're going to have to cut a chunk of the pipe out you will glue A fitting on the pipe sticking out of the floor then you will glue a piece of pipe on the top of the fitting that goes all the way up to the cut that you made on the top then to connect everything together you will use a banded coupling not a fernco fitting you find in Home Depot but a banded coupling that can connect PVC to PVC this type of coupling you will be able to slip on to the pipe beforehand and then slide up and tighten in place

2 - 3" Mission No-Hub Couplings for 3", 3" by 2" PVC Tee, 2" 90, 2" Tee, 2 by 1/1/2" Tee, 1.5" 90, 1.5" Tee to tie into that 1.5" vent, 2" Solvent Weld Trap for the standpipe for washing machine. Tap that 3" for the drain, connect the vent into the 1.5".

You skip one of the No-Hub Couplings if you glue the Tee where you cut the stack. 1.5" doesn't fly on the large discharge of washing machines. Even the H.E. ones. (High Efficiency)

One suggestion would be to think about making/leaving room for a sink next ot the washer. You're not planning on it now but you may want to add one in the future so locate the new pipes so it will be easy to add to.

@voletl nailed it as to what you need to do.
here is a fitting list to help you out

you need 2, 3005-44 pro flex [or] 2, P-400 fernco shielded bands
1- 4x2 san tee
1, 2'' elbow
1, 2 x 1 1/2 x 2 tee
1, 2'' ptrap
1, 1 1/2 elbow
1, 1 1/2 san tee
2, pro flex 3000- 150 bands, [or] cp-150 mission bands

2222.png

Back