washer hookup upstairs

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skoby

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've posted this question in another forum but I figured I'd try this forum also.

Anyway, I want to put a washer hookup upstairs. The concern at this point is the drain pipe. The hookup would be appr 1 foot outside the bathroom. As you can see in the pic, there is a main stack that the sink and toilet drain into. I could run the washer drain between the bathroom sink and toilet.

My local plumber said I could use an AAV or I may try to tie in the stack.

This would be on the second floor on a unit that is built on a slab.

Walltowallwdrain.jpg

Tub3.jpg

The drain for the laundry must be 2". It looks like you have a DBL tapped tee on the vent behind the toilet. Were is the 2nd line going? Is it for a sink in another bathroom? They look like copper lines are they 1-1/2 or 1-1/4?
John

I don't know what code is in use in your area, in my area we use the International Plumbing Code. Under IPC, a laundry machine is not allowed to be drained down the vent of another fixture, in this case the toilet.

In practice, I have seen where draining a laundry into a horizontal drain through a bathroom causes bubbling traps in the bathroom. I have not seen this done with a horizontal line, so I can't comment from experience.

The drain for the laundry must be 2". It looks like you have a DBL tapped tee on the vent behind the toilet. Were is the 2nd line going? Is it for a sink in another bathroom? They look like copper lines are they 1-1/2 or 1-1/4?
John

There are (2) 1 1/2" drains going into the stack above the toilet (second sink).

I agree with phishfood the line for the washer should tie in below the toilet.
John

This is on the second floor. I have a toilet downstairs which I believe is also going into this stack. I guess I shouldn't be going in even under this toilet?

Does this mean I'll need to go downstairs with a dedicated drain pipe and tie in somewhere down below?

I don't know what code is in use in your area, in my area we use the International Plumbing Code. Under IPC, a laundry machine is not allowed to be drained down the vent of another fixture, in this case the toilet.

In practice, I have seen where draining a laundry into a horizontal drain through a bathroom causes bubbling traps in the bathroom. I have not seen this done with a horizontal line, so I can't comment from experience.

Phishfood, this happen at a home my son purchased a few years ago. someone added a 1/2 bath in the basement below the laundry, every time the washer drained the toilet would gargle. (9 years old home with all plastic drains)

Last edited:
it is the same in canada, a laundry machiene must be 2" line and must be tied in below all other fixtures due to sudzing that will choke off a wet vent .

So, a few feet to the left of this vent stack near the tub is another stack. Can I assume this stack is strictly soil? I know there's a stack there as I can see it on top of the roof and remember seeing it behind a broken cinder block in the kitchen below (downstairs is cinderblock wall so it's hard to see exactly what's going on).

Are soil stacks strictly for discharge and are not allowed as a vent?

If I knew this then I could possibly tie in near the tub (unless that's not allowed).

Last edited:
I would rather not do this but could I put in a laundry sink one floor directly below the washer?

There is a 1 1/2" drain there. I could run some pvc piping from upstairs and drain directly below into the sink.

That would be a simple fix if it's allowable.

laundrysinkdownstairs.jpg

Last edited:
i have seen this done and work but its not legal and there would be splashing out.

A soil stack above its highest connection is "stack vented" and branches are served by either dry vents or wet vents, there is such thing as a multi story wet vent but its allowances would vary by state likely.

Back