vintage crane toilets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artieinmiami

artie in miami
Reaction score
My home was built in 1958 and still has the original crane oxford toilets made in the same year. When I bought the house, there was some jerry rigged flapper system that ran constantly and the only solution that I could find at the time was the fluidmaster stick on flapper system...they only last a few months and then start leaking. I notice the original flapper designed for this model (which is still available) is a vinyl flap with a styrofoam ball under one end and a slit cut in the other...the slit is how the flapper mounts...but I cannot for the life of me figure out how that mounts. There is only one hump in the bottom of the water tank (right near one of the brass bolts that hold the water tank to the bowl). Can anyone provide me with a picture of what the mounted flapper looks like in the crane oxford model or even a drawing or diagram of what it should look like. I called crane and they laughed at me. I know vintage toilets are popular and someone must know how this thing works. Thanks in advance.

artie

Is there a flush valve in the tank or does it have a built in overflow? If it has a flush valve I would replace it with a new one that would allow you to use a standard flapper.

John

No...I wish I had the other type. Mine is built into the back of the tank and is part of the porcelin...I was thinking of drilling 2 small holes into the water tank then I could put a stainless nuts/bolts to hold the crane flapper with the syrofoam ball that is made for most Oxford/Crane toilets. Is it possible to drill these with a carbide bit or do they shatter ? I guess my other option would be to either buy a whole new toilet or try to find a Crane water tank that will hold the flapper type...they seem expensive and shipping would be a killer. Thanks for the advice...this forum is excellent !

artie

There is another setup that was similar to what you have. Eljer had one they called touch flush. They also had a built in overflow and porcelain seat. It may just work in your toilet. It's not that expensive and may be worth a try. It's mounted by using one of the tank bolts. Here it a link to that setup. You can also do a search for Eljer touch flush to find other suppliers that carry it.

http://www.doitbest.com/Toilet+Repair+parts-Wm+H+Harvey+Co-model-091421-doitbest-sku-499331.dib

john

Back