Very low water pressure - Plumber or Well Company

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gpag

Reaction score
My water pressure is very low, the water just trickles from the tap and I need to know if I should call a well company or a plumber. Sorry this will be long so that I can explain the history and current state.

I have a whole hose filter that is connected to the main water supply after the pump. The usual scenario is that the filter cartridge lasts 4 or 5 months before it needs to be changed. I know when to change it because there is a VERY gradual reduction in water flow over weeks until it gets to the point where I finally get off my butt and change it. The filter housing will have a layer of sediment and, visually, the filter will obviously need changing. Once changed it lasts for another 4 to 5 months. That’s not how things are now.
A while ago, the water pressure in the house was low and I changed the filter as usual because it had been months since I changed it - same amount of sediment etc.. After 2 or 3 weeks the water pressure dropped to a trickle. I changed the filter again but this time there was almost no sediment in the housing and the filter cartridge was still good. Instead of being completely brown with sediment it was still white to gray.
Before I replaced the filter I connected a hose to the pump outlet pipe before the pressure gauge and opened it up. There was plenty of pressure. I then removed the filter and screwed just the filter housing back on and opened the shutoff. There was plenty of pressure going into the housing. I changed the filter and pressure had been fine for a few weeks. Now the flow has dropped to a trickle again. When you open a tap there is a decent flow for a few seconds but it quickly drops off.
This morning I went down to check the pressure on the tank. It was at 39. I had my wife flush a toilet, the pressure didn’t seem to go down at all but after, say, 10 seconds, the pump kicked on and went off when the tank pressure reached 65. After 5 minutes or so it had dropped to 60 with no water running. I went out for around 90 minutes and when I came home the tank pressure read 47. No water had been used.

Any idea what may be going on here? My first thought would be that the tank bladder is leaking but if that was the case, why would pressure be fine for weeks after changing the filter?
Thanks got any help.

If your pump is working between 39 and 65 you have plenty of water. The couple seconds of good pressure that quickly tappers off is indicative of a clog in the line like a clogged filter. Good pressure with no filter element also points to the filter being the problem. I would try pumping the well out full bore for a few hours or even days if it takes it to get some of the sediment out. Then maybe your filter cartridges will last longer.

If your pump is working between 39 and 65 you have plenty of water. The couple seconds of good pressure that quickly tappers off is indicative of a clog in the line like a clogged filter. Good pressure with no filter element also points to the filter being the problem. I would try pumping the well out full bore for a few hours or even days if it takes it to get some of the sediment out. Then maybe your filter cartridges will last longer.
Thanks for jumping in to help this member!

Back