very confusing! too many conflicting and vague answers????

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sewergas

Reaction score
Just had a new HWHeater (gas) in home. Code required separate PRV exit line and an drain line for the pan also which were plumbed to the outside at least 6" above the ground. Two drain lines for pan and PRV. And now I need to replace a HWH in a condo where HWH is located on second floor sitting in a pan only ( no drain line at all). So now in order to meet code I will need a pan with a drain to the outside and a drain line for the PRV and the same for the PRV. So now the problem comes about=no way to pipe anything to the out side because of the configuration on the way the condo is built. I do have an attic but this is not going to allow me to place the exit drains only 6" above the patio and no exterior pipes allowed except at ground level for drains (6"above patio). So I was looking into a floodstop unit which will shut off the water if it senses any water in pan. I have one installed for the clothes washer which seems to work well whenever I run a test on it (turns off feed water lines). BUT THE CONCERN I HAVE AND HAVE GOTTEN NO REAL ANSWER THAT I THINK IS VALID (have talked to several plumbing companies, plumbers, etc) IS WHAT HAPPENS IF THE HWH LEAKS AND THE FLOOD STOP DOES ITS JOB OF TURNING OFF THE WATER AND THE GAS IS STILL ON. WILL IT CONTINUE TO FIRE UP WITH LITTLE OR NO WATER IN THE TANK CREATING A FIRE HAZARD?SO EMPTY TANK AND BURNER FIRES UP AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!YES OR NO? WHAT CAN OCCUR? NOT SAFE? IDEAS THOUGHTS WOULD REALLY HELP.......sewergas

Watts makes a flood safe that shuts off the water and gas. Is there anyway to install a indirect drain ? If so, check to see if codes in your area will allow indirect draining for water heater & pan.

My thanks to IFIX20! Actually I was hoping for some additional ideas as well, but IFIX20 suggested indirect draining which gave me this idea probably off the wall and not to code but anyway.........the standpipe for the washer is less the 3-4 ft away, could this HWHeater be plumbed next to the regular washer rubber drain and use that exit for the PRV. It could certainly take an overflow of hot water and it's easy to secure and place into the standpipe?????? Don't have a clue but I'll ask anyway. BTW the product that shuts off both the gas and water is TACO WAGS unit which lies in the pan, but requires professional installation which I would do anyway, but I don't know if it is code until check. Again my thanks for my single reply from, IFIX20..........gratzie.SGas

Codes will not allow the piping to be ran to the laundry standpipe.

if there is no water coming into the tank then there is no water leaving the tank either ( unless it is gravity syphoning if there is a fixture lower than the tank open which would still not completelly drain the tank *not likely* ) so you really have no issue. the tank will only fire to reheat the water when needed ( which is still in the tank ). Worry not. there SHOULD be a floor drain in the mechanical room ( canadain Code as long as I can rememeber ) I am unsure if us codes are the same, this is in our code for this very reason.

another thought, though expensive is to get a pan large enough that you could install a pump to pump the water to a drain. ( did this once in a basement, though what we used was more a sump pit than a drain pan. :) save your money .

Thanks to everyone. My first reply disappeared so here is a summary. Lots of good suggestions. Camaroderrick73 was right the Watts 210 is $$$$$$, quote from plumbing contactor ($699 for the 210). Too steep for me! His estimate=HWHeater, Watts unit, Flood stop for pan, install=$2800+/-....online Watts units approx. $187 (lead free for the state of insanity=Calif), $500 to install??????? I do not think so! But this will satisfy code.....thanks again....sewergas....Calif=state of INSANITY = if you like jumping thru hoop after hoop, etc...buy a pistol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey phishfood......believe me there's nothing special about living in California! more rules, regulations, just what we need...... federal gov't=the people of this country are incapable of knowing what is good for them!!!!!!!!!!!

sewergas said:
Thanks to everyone. My first reply disappeared so here is a summary. Lots of good suggestions. Camaroderrick73 was right the Watts 210 is $$$$$$, quote from plumbing contactor ($699 for the 210). Too steep for me! His estimate=HWHeater, Watts unit, Flood stop for pan, install=$2800+/-....online Watts units approx. $187 (lead free for the state of insanity=Calif), $500 to install??????? I do not think so! But this will satisfy code.....thanks again....sewergas....Calif=state of INSANITY = if you like jumping thru hoop after hoop, etc...buy a pistol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just use the watts and a 2 long flex lines. Remove the t and p line , then Gas line to the watts and watts to the control valve

The watts are 198 at furgeusons. Total parts is probably 230.

Back