Venting Problems under Bathroom Sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thed3629

Reaction score
So I just bought this house, and the plumbing is kinda... Funky, to say the least.

The issue I'm having is an extremely slow-draining bathroom sink. It's a very weird set-up: the sink tailpiece is connected to a vertical drain pipe via a PVC accordion-type piece and then runs straight downward under the house where it meets a common P-trap that it shares with the kitchen sink in the adjacent room. Weird.

The kitchen sink works fine, but the bathroom sink is ridiculously slow. I took apart the installation to inspect for clogs and cleaned it out with no improvement. I did find out thought that if I let the sink run until it's just about to overflow, it will create a vacuum and suck all the water down the drain forcefully. A general contractor said he thought it looked like a venting issue in that vertical run.

The common P-trap is properly vented and the kitchen sink works perfectly fine, so I'm fairly certain that the problem is localized to that one vertical run. AAV's are cool in my area, so I was hoping that I could just install one of those under the sink, but I'm worried because I know you're not really supposed to put them before any kind of trap. It could be possible to install another P-trap under the sink, but the space is very very small and I know that you're not supposed to double-trap a fixture. But would the difference in elevation kind of negate some of the problems with double-trapping?

Kinda stuck on what to do, I'd really like the AAV to just serve the purpose of venting that pipe before it hits the trap, but advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you could take some pictures it would really help us to help you, because it sounds like you have a handyman's special installed with the flex drain and there could be more to the problem than what you have described.

It is not a venting issue. Whoever told you that has no plumbing knowledge. Tear out the whole mess and re-plumb with traps and vents to main vent at each fixture. And be sure to NEVER use the accordion crap.

FYI. Accordion traps and drainage plumbing have one major benefit. When my clients ask me for a plumbing inspection prior to purchasing a home, I know immediately upon seeing the accordion crap that someone who was not a plumber did the work. Every time they have been able to get significant cost reductions in the purchase prices in order to be able to pay to have the plumbing re-done properly. :)

Latest posts

Back