Vent Issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mms244

Reaction score
Recently having an issue with gurgling sounds in toilet and tub drain once toilet is flushed. Checked drainage pipes and vent stack and found no clog. Water runs down drains just fine. However noticed the bathroom sink drain pipe that is slightly upward and likely collecting water, blocking vent pipe access for other drain pipes (see pic).

I also noticed wetness on basement ceiling around the toilet drain pipe. I replaced the wax seal under the toilet. Now the gurgling is worse and toilet also gurgles when shower is running. Toilet also flushes slower than before. If the issue is the upward drain pipe how can I fix it?

I appreciate any feedback and thank you.

IMG_2668.JPG

Looks like the toilet vent slopes downward and could possibly be filled with water. The corrosion on the cleanout points to that too. Your sink is running towards your tub so it should not directly affect it. Are they connected o the same drain, the one with reducing rubber coupling? That connection looks like trouble down the road. From the gurgling you describe, I'd say you do have some type of blockage possibly roots. Enough water gets through initially but slows down with heavier flow. I'd recommend that you redo the section of pipes in the picture using all PVC DWV instead of cast iron. Once you cut all that old pipe out, run a camera down there to check for damage or root intrusion.

Back