Vent/Drain Slab Foundation Q

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Reaction score
This is a single level home, slab foundation, 1.5 baths. On the roof I see 1 pvc pipe with a cap that is postioned closer to the full bath. Inside the laundry room (where the central ac unit is also positioned) there is a 3"id pvc pipe that is cut flush with the slab foundation. I can see water about 5 inches down the pipe and when the main drain line to the street plugs, water backs up and fills the laundry room. Should this 3" id, flush cut pipe be left open like this?

Ac drain makes three 45 degree turns to get this 3" opening, hot water pop off is on the opposite side, and as you can see by the attachment...toilet paper:eek:

The bath tub, sinks, and toilets are draining without issue...if that matters.

Slab Drain1.jpg

It's a floor drain. You will want to clean that toilet paper and sewer water out of there before it starts stinking. Flush it out with clean water.

2 things... how do I "flush it out"? There is always water in the pipe, should there be?

Take a shop vac, suck it clean of the toilet paper and gunk, then take a bucket of fresh water and pour it down. That should eliminate any potential smell.

There will always be water in the pipe. Under the concrete is a p-trap like what you see under the sinks. Its there to stop methane gasses from the sewer from coming into your home. The floor drain is there so if your washing machine or water heater lets go, you dont find 2 feet of water in your basement.

Back