Unreasonable Flapper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custom500

Reaction score
The toilet in my home always worked fine, and still does, except all of a sudden and for no apparent reason when we flush it you have to hold the handle down or the flapper sucks shut immediately. We have lived here 32 years, and of course I've had to replace the flapper a few times, and mostly they worked OK, except maybe you had to jiggle the handle once in a while, but probably 10 years ago I put an aftermarket American Standard style job in, (with the float and the cup that empties to time the closing), and that thing worked perfectly, every time without exception. Suddenly the valve drops as soon as you release the handle- half a flush, no good.

So- I removed the old American Standard style unit and to my surprise the float had not leaked and had no water inside, but I replaced the whole thing with a new fluidmaster flapper (it came with the overflow pipe and everything). Same thing, slammed shut as soon as I released the handle. Playing with the float on the chain made it all worse. So- Went on line and bought an the exact same American Standard style aftermarket unit (that turned out to be a Kissler 68-7089) and put that in, and now IT won't work right either. What the...

All 3 of these valves stand straight up when they opened, but then drop almost immediately. I even tried to add some weight to the cup on the A.S. one to help hold it open longer while the water drained out of the little hole, but it didn't make any difference. All ideas appreciated.

My only thought is that you describe how the new toilets work.... very fast cycle.
I realize yours is not new ,,, but did you buy the components specifically designed for a 2.8 gallon or less ? .. or the universal stuff that covers all size tanks ?
I ask because I almost made the error myself. Fluidmaster identifies their parts if for a 3.5 old style or the new "water savers" or universal.

Last edited:
Some flappers have an adjustment to keep them open longer. I would recommend one of these flappers if your toilet is compatible, most are that use a flapper.

post good pics of what you have.

OK- got it to work. Using the Kissler American Standard style unit, I adjusted the chain a little longer and dropped a 3/8" nut into the cup. Now it stays wide open until the tank is empty and a few seconds more. We have our own water supply so that little bit of water waste isn't an issue.

The pic is the old unit, the new one is the exact same thing positioned the same way, but with the supplied chain instead of the nylon string.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
0308211013 (1).jpg

Back