Underground Gas Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbird

Reaction score
My house has a gas valve in the back for a grill. The gas line is right under a window. I am looking to extend the gas line underground about 7' away from the house and then concrete over it.

I drew up my plans and took them to the county and received my permit. But the guy that approved my plan was an extremely angry person that wouldn't give me any time to ask questions.

One of my questions was "can I cement over this set up". So I went over to the inspectors area and spoke to a manager who of course said, no I can't cement over it because there are connections that would be under the cement and if they leaked, I'd be creating a bomb. He was a nice guy but not very helpful in pointing me in the right direction as to how I could accomplish what I needed.

Hopefully someone here can help...

My plans use an continental anodeless meter riser with a con-stab fitting to go underground from the connection at the house. That will then connect to PE tubing via the compression / con-stab fitting. The PE tube is only 5' long, then connects to another riser to come out of the ground.

So the issue is the underground con-stab fittings would be under the cement.

Is there another way to go down and across without having any junctions?

I realize my question is probably confusing, so I'll post more information or pictures if its helpful for the discussion. Just let me know what would be helpful.

thanks,
terry

use a conduit from above ground , over to new area, to above ground.

concrete the area.

fish your approved outdoor gs line thru the conduit to the new bbq pit.

install a cap over the conduit, that has been drilled in the center for the gas line,

seal /weather proof the annular space .

12144662_919416114806350_4405088074483438641_n.jpg

Thanks for your response and for the picture to further help my understanding!

Should I use metal conduit? Or can I use plastic?

Does the conduit need to be 18" underground with 2" of type 2 below it? (ie that's what I'd have to do if I just buried the PE tube without conduit.)

How do I connect the plastic PE tube that I'll fish through the conduit to the black metal pipe that comes out of the house? (Actually it will connect to a shut of valve that I'll likely keep there. See picture.) In my original plan, the Contenintal riser did that for me because it has black pipe on one end and has the PE tube "con-stab" fitting on the other end.

What do I seal the cap/annular space with? Just caulk?

I live in Clark County, Nevada.

If the clarification helps in any way, I want to extend the gas line visible in the pictures over to the pillar on the other side of the concrete, so the grill is away from the house. Then I'll cement over the ground so the area in front of the grill is a usable space to walk on and access the grill.

Thanks so much!

IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

2'' pvc pipe, for the 90 degree offset, use 2 , 45 degree fittings making it a long offset
it will be easier to shove the gas line thru. t o be honest,easiest way , is to install the gasflex as you put the pvc together

use gas flex, and the gas flex adapters, seal the pvc with a roofing cement/ tar

12'' will be fine,

Last edited:
2'' pvc pipe, for the 90 degree offset, use 2 , 45 degree fittings making it a long offset

it will be easier to shove the gas line thru. t o be honest,easiest way , is to install the gasflex as you put the pvc together

use gas flex, and the gas flex adapters, seal the pvc with a roofing cement/ tar

12'' will be fine,

Still learning... :cool:

SOURCE- http://www.gasflex.com/?post_type=portfolio&p=270#

GROUNDING:

Since there is no electrical conduction within the gasflex pipe system there are no chances of electric shock to people who come in contact with the gas piping. Appliances connected to the gasflex piping system shall be grounded per electrical code.

BONDING:

Unlike CSST pipe, there is no electrical conduction within the gasflex pipe system and there is no chance of electrical surge caused by nearby lighting strikes. However bonding conductors between the appliances and the electrical service equipment enclosure is recommended to keep all appliances at a common voltage. When an additional grounding electrode(s) is used for the gas service, it shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system or, where provided, the lightning protection grounding system.

Thanks for all your help!

12" below grade (to the top of the PVC) will pass inspection? ...Or do you not specifically know Nevada / Clark County regulations.

metal gas piping shall be a minimum 12'' of cover
plastic piping is a minimum of 18'' of cover

if you have any questions, by all means, call the local plumbing inspector.
they enjoy questions, and are generally happy to assist

Last edited:
Back