Unable to attach ring nut to sink strainer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awacs

Reaction score
Last night, when various people were poking around under the sink ("we didn't touch anything, we promise ...") I developed a leak from the sink drain pipe. Investigation revealed that the pipe had detached itself. I tried to reattach the ring nut but it won't 'catch' - it turns a bit, then jumps free of the threads. The handyman I called said, 'you can't use an adjustable wrench, you need a thing-a-ma-jig' - which I didn't quite catch. He also promised to around Real Soon Now, whatever that means.

So, why *can't* I use adjustable wrench to tighten the ring nut? what am I missing?

You could have a split slip joint nut that needs to be replaced.

By 'slip joint nut' you mean the ring nut itself? Hmmmmm ... it doesn't look defective. I don't see a sign of a split - wouldn't I notice that?

Sometimes the split is only noticeable when you are placing pressure on the nut. It also may be cross threading. When you say adjustable wrench I assume you mean a crescent type wrench. You actually need tongue and groove pliers most commonly called channel locks, the preferred brand in the industry.

Back