Tub spout - can't get old plastic sleeve off

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillCz

Reaction score
This seems like a dumb question, but I don't know the answer, so...
The diverter on my old tub spout isn't working well anymore, so I want to replace the tub spout. I have a 1/2" copper pipe slip connection. I took the old main unit off and what was left behind was the plastic sleeve shown in the picture. This sleeve is quite loose - I can twist it around the pipe freely and can pull it back and forth on the pipe a very tiny amount. But I can't pull it off. I've pulled up until the entire copper stub out is pulling out of the wall. I don't want to pull any harder and break a solder joint in the wall or something. It sort of looks like the shiny copper with the groove in it that you can see through the slot in the plastic may be holding things up - it almost looks like an extra sleeve over the pipe. Although if it is, it is very thin. I've thought about trying to cut off the plastic sleeve, but I'm worried about burning my bridges - at this point I can still go back to the old spout.
Does anyone know what is going on here, and can provide me with advice?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

mainBathPipe-20131211-reduced.jpg

There should be an allen (inset hex) head screw, on the bottom of the collar. Turn the slot in the plastic collar down to the bottom, and see if you can't remove it.

Thanks for replying. However, that isn't it. The white collar is just a smoothly molded piece, no screws or holes for screws or anything.
Any other ideas?
Thanks.

I'm sure you have solved your problem; however, maybe this will help others as I had the same problem. There is a black o-ring which seats itself very tight in the plastic sleeve. After about 15 minutes (possibly more) I thought this plastic piece was not going to get the best of me. I pried the gasket out with a pair of tweezers and once that was removed the sleeve came off with ease. This was my first attempt at a repair and it was quite easy and would have taken less time if this little part didn't give me an issue. Hope this helps.

Hello, I'm having same problem, does anyone have a solution. I removed the only black rings I found, but sleeve will not budget, only turn.

Back