Tub drain replacement

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburglar

Reaction score
I have a tub in my house which is probably 50 years old.

I accidentally broke off the trip lever, so I figured I'd use this opportunity to replace the drain with a toe tap drain, as the old one was starting to look rusty anyway.

The drain does not have a cross beam. It doesn't look like it ever had one. It does have two nubs on either side, about half inch down --- not sure if I'm supposed to use that.

Anyway, after some research I bought a "drain key" and attempted to ratchet it out.

The drain key bites fine, but the drain will not budge at all. I'm wondering if I'm just not torquing it enough, or if this type of drain isn't meant to be replaced in this manner.

I can make out "Standard - Made in USA" embossed on the drain ring. Does anyone recognize this type of a drain? Many of the bathroom fixtures including the matching toilet is an old American Standard.

I'm also concerned that the replacement drain won't fit. Visually, the replacement drain seems taller/deeper than the existing drain.

I've also attached the view from the basement.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Back