Trouble with bathroom drains.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markandkristi

Reaction score
My dad and I are renovating a place and are having issues with 2 bathrooms draining. One bathroom (the main problem) is an upstairs bathroom and the other is on the main floor. Both of these run into the same septic tank. I have supplied a pic to maybe help better understand/diagnose an alternative repair. A week or so back the toilet upstairs wouldnt flush so my dad plunged it. It would start to go down but would fill back up. After a few plunges he went outside and water was dripping off the top of the house and he noticed toilet paper coming out of the vent. This is not good. Also the toilet on the main floor started having flushing issues also. He called and had someone come out to pump out the septic at the cost of $300 and it didnt solve anything. We got the lines dug up in several places and drilled holes in the drain pipes to see where or how far back the clock was located. The first hole drilled was closest to the house and water started coming out pretty good so that gave us a good feeling that the clog was atleast farther out. We dug up where everything was tied into the septic and found the issue. There is a 4" pipe running from the lower floor bathroom toilet and a 1 1/2" pipe from that bathrooms tub coming in at a sharp corner before tying into the 4" drain pipe. The upstairs drain pipe is 3" and also comes in with a sharp corner to the 4" drain. What we want to do is retie everything going into the septic and eliminate these choke points. You can see in the pic where we drilled a hole in the 3" pipe and this was a major part of the clog as tons of toilet paper snaked out once it was relieved. What would be a good option. The septic tank is just a couple feet to the right of the pic.
temporary_zps32866e88.jpg

A good part of your problem is the main line has been reduced on the downhill side. That causes a restriction at that point. That line needs to be 4" to the tank. When connecting the 3" line use a 4 x 3 Y and 45 not a sanitary tee. With the 1-1/2" line use a 4 x 1-1/2 Y and 45.

Latest posts

Back