Trouble removing faucet handles

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHRA678

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two badly leaking/corroded faucets. I want to try to replace the cartridges to see if that helps before getting entirely new faucets. However, I'm having an impossible time getting the handles off. I've tried WD40, a faucet handle puller, etc and they are hardly budging at all. I've posted a pic below of one of them (2nd one is identical but much more corroded). Does anyone have any suggestions and if I need to replace the whole faucet, is that relatively not difficult? Thanks!ImageUploadedByPlumbing Forum1394987937.597649.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

The faucet handle puller always has worked for me. Do not be shy about tightening that puller!

But really, that faucet is not worth repairing. Replace the faucet. Is it on a pedestal sink? If yes, too bad, that can make replacement harder but still something you can do yourself. Make sure you have basin wrench that is the one tool you will definitely need to replace that faucet.

Thanks! It's not a pedestal sink so hopefully that helps. As far as using the puller, the reason it's not working for me is because I can't seem to get the arms wedged under the handle, but maybe I'll try prying it a little to get them under.

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Make sure the threaded rod of the tool is backed out far enough for the arms of the tool to be placed under the handle. When you then tighten the tool, the arms may want to pop out, squeeze them in place with your hand. It usually does not take much force to remove the handles on your type of faucet. Remember, squeeze the arms together with your hand.

Your type of faucet generally has either clips or nuts holding the cartridges in place under the handles. Remove them and pull out the cartridges with a pliers. Take the cartridges to a plumbing supply store to visually match them up with replacements.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back