Trouble pressure testing a new 1/2 in gas pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODTech7B87

Reaction score
Recently installed approx. 35 linear ft of 1/2 in gas pipe in the attic for a branch line to the kitchen. Purchased a 15 PSI gas test pressure gauge at the hardware store and was unable to get only 1.0 PSI on the line with a compressor and/or tire pump. This PSI does hold but below the required 3 PSI. Thinking that the gauge was defective, returned and exchanged the gauge, still can only pressurize the line to approx. 1.0 PSI. The gas main valve, gas furnace supply valve and gas water heater supply valve are closed. I tightened all pipes and fittings, leak tested the new fittings twice, turned on the gas main (odor) etc... Any insight on my next course of action would be appreciated. Thanks

Do you have a gas shut off valve in line? Pictures available?

Have you put a leak detector solution on every joint including your test rig? Rigs can be notorious for leaking because they are installed and remove so often. You should be checking every joint though with a leak detector if you spectacular a leak. A 1:10 ratio of dawn and water works well. I use a leak detector that I got from camping world. That stuff is great. R E Michaels and fergusons have some too. Any place that sells gas product will have it. I would disconnect your units and appliances before you try this but you can pump to 120 and listen for the leak as well.

did you tie it into the existing system or are you testing only the line you put in.

You have to remove all valves from the system at the appliances and cap the lines and test the system before you add a line to make sure you do not have a leak on the existing system. Then when you add a line you will know if the new line is leaking because the existing system was not before you added it.

You have to disconnect the meter as well to properly test system.
rotor valve are only designed to hold 3 psi.

If you just turn off valves you can damage regulators in the appliances.

Thanks to all for your replies! I'll cap the appliances and disconnect the meter.

I would say this is your problem. Fyi. I don't know what pressure you were testing at, but you may want to varify that no damage was done to the regulators or meter.

IMOH gas needs to be done by a licensed gasfitter.
Please be careful.

Couldn't agree more ,I cringe every time I see a homeowner with a roll of that cute yellow flex pipe they sell at home dumbo

Couldn't agree more ,I cringe every time I see a homeowner with a roll of that cute yellow flex pipe they sell at home dumbo

I will not sell gas water heater parts, or flex gas to anyone without a gas license or plumbing license. I sell a certain type of CSST gas pipe but you must be certified in it.

That's my point I have to be certified in ward flex to purchase but any clown can purchase ccst at Home Depot or lowes and blow their homes up and nobody even blinks

Liability.. you can blow yourself or your property up but not a customer. Insurance companies don't like that and neither does the board.

Liability.. you can blow yourself or your property up but not a customer. Insurance companies don't like that and neither does the board.

I don't see how the big box stores can sell CSST and the fittings for it. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Back