Triplex vs 1 washing machine

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad bubbler

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a complex situation.

I have a triplex with 1 common laundry room containing 1 washing machine.

Each unit is on its own water meter and water tank. I want to take a branch of each tank that merge into 1 line that feeds the washing machine. However I can't have the flow travel backwards into another unit, so I was thinking if adding check valves.

Do you think this would have equal pressure and draw equally from each unit when the washing machine is running?

I have drawn a diagram for simplicity.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Laundry Room Plumbing Sketch - 2023-05-23.jpg
    837 KB · Views: 0
You would have to install flow balancers on each line from each water heater and each cold water line to balance the flow. You’d also need check valves on each line.

I’ve never done anything like you’re trying to do but I believe these would get as close as you could get.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Caleffi...MIg_njksiM_wIVwMvjBx0bJA2IEAQYAyABEgLwnPD_BwE
Maybe it would work, I don’t know.

It would be expensive. ✌️

Last edited:
You might be better off installing a water meter and a water heater for the laundry and going up on the rent.

Personally I would do what you’re wanting to do. I’m not even sure it’s legal..

Thank you for the quick reply,

If I ignored the flow balancers and just did the check valves, is it possible it would just draw from one unit? Or do you think the pressure would be equalized or close too?

Thank you for the quick reply,

If I ignored the flow balancers and just did the check valves, is it possible it would just draw from one unit? Or do you think the pressure would be equalized or close too?
It wouldn’t draw equally and it would potentially change how is draws based off what’s happening in the system, if it’s static or under flow.

The problem is people are paying for independent meters and your combining them. Same with the hot water.

You might end up in a lawsuit.

This is going to be an expensive and complicated (and probably illegal) plumbing disaster.

I would probably put in three key switches, which enable electric valves, so that each tenant can select their water supply, but that’s also pretty complicated.

What about electricity? Is there a separate meter for landlord provided electricity?

Twowaxhack has the simplest solution, separate water, meter, small, electric hot water tank, on the landlords power meter, and increase the rent by whatever you need to to cover those costs.

Actually, the simplest solution is probably to give everybody their own washing machine.

How are the tenants washing the laundry now. Does your building have a hot water tank separate for the laundry. Is the washing machine free?
I have 6 units (in Ontario) with six hot water tanks for the tenants unit's, but no hot water tank for the washing machine. The washing machine only uses cold water and it is coin operated.
I understand that you want tenants to pay for the cold/hot water that they use when using the washing machine, but as it was explained it would be a complicated system that may not be worth installing because it is expensive.

Second if you are in London ,Ontario you should know that if the tenants are getting something free now, they don't want to or have to pay for something that they are getting free. In my case they have free AC with the current set up.

How are the tenants washing the laundry now. Does your building have a hot water tank separate for the laundry. Is the washing machine free?
I have 6 units (in Ontario) with six hot water tanks for the tenants unit's, but no hot water tank for the washing machine. The washing machine only uses cold water and it is coin operated.
I understand that you want tenants to pay for the cold/hot water that they use when using the washing machine, but as it was explained it would be a complicated system that may not be worth installing because it is expensive.

Second if you are in London ,Ontario you should know that if the tenants are getting something free now, they don't want to or have to pay for something that they are getting free. In my case they have free AC with the current set up.
Yes I am in London. (Small world).

Up until a few weeks ago the plumbing was all on 1 meter and the cost was being covered by me, even though it states in the lease the tenant pays.

So, I have installed isolated water meters for each unit. Today I will be installing a forth dedicated to the washing machine, cold water line.
The hot water, will either be disconnected completely or, added to 1 specific unit and highlighted in the next new lease.

The new washing machine meter will be divided up evenly each month amongst all the tenenats at billing time. This is what my lawyer advised.

The new washing machine meter will be divided up evenly each month amongst all the tenants at billing time. This is what my lawyer advised.
It sounds good as long nobody complains about ,why should i pay this much when the other tenant is using the washing machine twice as much as i do.
Hope everything works out for you.

I'd disconnect the hot water (or connect to cold) and eat the cost, looks like an HE machine uses 7-14 gallons per load, that's not a lot of money.

How are they drying their clothes?

Then you are spending way more on power to dry their clothes than you ever will on water. I say give them cold water for free! 😇

Coin op machines. I bought a set several years ago for a small apartment building and they weren't much more than the standard machines.

Coin op machines. I bought a set several years ago for a small apartment building and they weren't much more than the standard machines.
That doesn’t solve the problem of who pays the utilities to run the machine.

The tenant’s are paying the utilities.

The tenant’s are paying the utilities.

There's also apparently a common system for the house that the landlord is paying, so putting all the laundry machines on there and using coin-op is a reasonable response, though the tenants may be upset about paying for something that used to be included.

There's also apparently a common system for the house that the landlord is paying, so putting all the laundry machines on there and using coin-op is a reasonable response, though the tenants may be upset about paying for something that used to be included.
Not unless the utilities are paid by the owner to those coin operated machines.

You can’t install coin operated machines and have the users also pay the utility bills by connecting their cold and hot water, electricity.

If the owner pays the utilities then it would be fine to use coin machines.

Yes that is what I was trying to suggest, landlord pays all laundry utilities. When things are free many people tend to abuse or should I say take advantage of the situation.

Latest posts

Back