Torch and fuel for brass hose bib to copper

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had to replace a few copper pipe to brass hose bibs lately and have a hard time getting them undone.

I'm using basic propane and torch setup and my technique has been to cut the brass hose bib off or partially off using an angle grinder with diamond wheel. Otherwise it seems I can't get the brass hot enough and or water evacuated enough to get the solder undone. I also have had to stick a little piece of sponge into the copper pipe to get the little trickle to stop from the pipe. (I know lack of patience).

In any case I'm wondering if I will be better off with map fuel and torch. I've been kind of eyeing the push button start torch heads too.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=PROPANE+MAPP+SWIVEL+TURBOTORCH+ST+3+WITH+STK+R+REGULATOR

m4Oqs88vezSU6KufemKWdJw.jpg

you have to get the water out,

propane is garbage heat, not hot enough

map is a much better product, and good for a once in awhile homeowner

map is great for 1/2'',3/4'', 1'' only draw back is the size of the flame, be careful

it is easy to burn a house down if you catch the insulation paper on fire, get a small fire extinguisher to have handy

i keep one under the seat and one in the tool box

Last edited:
It can be done with propane, that's generally all I use. If you aren't getting the water out, you're wasting your time. You also need a way to release the pressure you are creating when you are making steam, otherwise you're going to have a bad day.

Map gas will burn hotter, but again, water will stop you dead in your tracks. Sometimes, solder is just a bugger to break free. Sometimes I will put some solder paste on the hub I'm trying to sweat off and it helps break it free.

Depending on how much water i've been able to get it with a map gas torch but generally yes it has to stop. I agree with frodo propane sucks. I use map gas or acteylene and that's it. Sometimes I've founs it helpful to drain the hot water tank down a bit and it seems to help with the dripping. Obviously depending on how the piping is done

Back