Toilet won't flush completely

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edhalsim

Reaction score
Hi,

I just joined so please bear with me.

I have a toilet that I replaced the tank mechanism with one that doesn't have the ballcock. The toilet flushes fine, but it doesn't flush everything away. I tried:
1. Raising the level of water in the tank by adjusting the float on the poll. I think I have it as high as it will go.
2. Adjusting the flapper by turning it to float highest (I think).

I'm out of ideas. Can someone please help so I don't have to call a plumber (I like to try to fix these things myself). Instructions need to be at about a 5th. grade level please. :confused:

Thanks for your time.

What toilet and how old is it? Also, pics of your tank interior may help us help you.

Good questions. Toilet must be from 1990 or so. The assembly I bought at Home Depot and installed myself so it may not be 100% correct.

IMG_2671.JPG

Looks like you didn't use the clip for the refill tube that keeps the refill above the overflow tube. This will cause the water in the tank to siphon out not giving you a full tank of water for the flush.

Thanks for the reply. I just checked and the refill tube is about a half inch above the overflow pipe; bad picture.

I have noticed that the tank does not appear to fill completely after a flush, and I haven't found a way to prevent the refill from shutting off before I get a full tank.

Last edited:
Move the float up a bit by screwing the small black adjustment with the phillips head on top.

I'll be honest with you, the water saving toilets designed in the 1990's were never as good with the water saving toilets produced today. Lets hope moving the float upward will give you enough water to have a decent flush.

Looks like a fluidmaster adjustable flapper as well. Is it set on maximum?

When you flush, does the flapper stay up for the duration of the flush, or close pre maturely?

Back