toilet vent running horizontal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alainmax

Reaction score
Oh and another question...:

building a bathroom "upstairs". Can the toilet vent run horizontally ( slight incline ) for 15-20 feet BEFORE going vertical and into the roof??

I could then, possibly make a T in the vertical portion of the tub vent and have only one hole in the roof.

on the same floor i will have shower and 2 sinks as well (

in the same room)

thank you in advance for your input

Under International Plumbing Code, the vent must be at least 6" above the rim of the toilet before it can be installed horizontally. So if you mean that the vent will be run horizontally in the ceiling of the floor that the toilet is used on, the answer is yes. If the vent will run horizontally in the floor below the toilet, then the answer is no.

thank you phishfood.

it would be on the floor below the toilet so it would be no !

OK, what is the max distance before it goes up vertically then?

I could make it happen by using the wall behind the toilet, so short horizontal ( may be some incline) then vertical behind the wall ( there is room behind the wall). i suppose like any toilets out there !

Yes. Stack vents and vent stacks can be installed as you described. There may be some areas that still frown upon the design, but those restrictions were intended for cast iron stacks.

Once again, codes may differ.

But in my area, it cannot run horizontally at all. Horizontal is defined as an angle more than 45 degrees from the vertical. So, the vent can actually run on a 45 degree angle and still be considered vertical.

I kind of pictured what alainmax described as being similar to a horizontal branch with a wye to the toilet and continuing to the wall where it goes vertical as a stack vent. So, alain, you have experienced the differences in codes through online forums. It's fun and educational.:D

thank you both

i think i will use a 3x2 reducing Y and a 45degree street elbow going in opposite direction of the drain, running next to the closet bend into the wall behind the toilet then straight up.

The drain will run "in front" of the toilet and hooking in to the main 3" drain in the soffit ( room below)

Flood level rim is considered to be the point at which a fixture will overflow with water from a clogged drain so in the case of a sink it is the top of the rim and a toilet the same.

I dont know if your area code allows for wet venting, but where i am a Vent can be configured to be a wet vent, and also

a horizontal Vent branch CAn be run but its connection point to a drain must be ABOVE the horizontal centerline of the drain to which it connects. It must also observe the dwv rules regarding slope and changes of direction as it is below flood rim and may occasionally be subject to hydraulic gradient surges. It MUST also be equipped with a accesiblle cleanout.

That is Here, it might not be kosher there.

Back