Toilet tank filling mystery

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubahound

Reaction score
I live in an 8 year old ranch on concrete slab in south east US. I have 2 complete bathrooms, a master and a main. I've never had a problem since I bought the house. I am the original owner.

Tonight, I flushed the toilet in the master and noticed that the tank was filling slowly. The toilet was used within 15 minutes prior to my use, and there were no problems. There is no problem in the main bathroom.

I looked in the tank and saw that the water was coming out very slowly from the fill valve. I turned off the water supply, emptied the tank, removed and inspected the valve, (all looked good), replaced the valve and turned the water back on. Tank filled perfectly. Great news.

I flushed the toilet and it started filling slowly again. OK, I installed a new valve (which I just happened to have cause you just never know - ya know!). Turned on the water and the tank filled perfectly. Great news.

I flushed the toilet and it started filling slowly again. OK! I turned of the water, removed the water line. I tested the water line pressure and filled a bucket. Filled the bucket several times, no problem. Pressure was great at all times. I did not see any debris. I attached the water line, turned on the water and the tank filled perfectly. Great news.

I flushed the toilet and it started filling slowly, AGAIN. I turned off the water. I waited 15 seconds and turned it back on. The tank filled perfectly. I flushed and it started filling slowly again. repeat, repeat, repeat. I have no idea.

If anyone can offer advice I would certainly appreciate it.

Cheers.

Wow!! That is odd.
what kind of valve was in the toilet that you changed and what did you put in?
What kind of stop valve do you have. 1/4 turn or screw it in a few turns to turn it off?

I looked in the tank and saw that the water was coming out very slowly from the fill valve. I turned off the water supply, emptied the tank, removed and inspected the valve, (all looked good), replaced the valve and turned the water back on. Tank filled perfectly. Great news.

I flushed the toilet and it started filling slowly again. OK, I installed a new valve (which I just happened to have cause you just never know - ya know!). Turned on the water and the tank filled perfectly. Great news.

I flushed the toilet and it started filling slowly again. OK! I turned of the water, removed the water line. I tested the water line pressure and filled a bucket. Filled the bucket several times, no problem. Pressure was great at all times. I did not see any debris. I attached the water line, turned on the water and the tank filled perfectly. Great news.

I flushed the toilet and it started filling slowly, AGAIN. I turned off the water. I waited 15 seconds and turned it back on. The tank filled perfectly. I flushed and it started filling slowly again. repeat, repeat, repeat. I have no idea.

The line should have been flushed before installing the new valve. If any sediment and/or trash in the water line will be introduced into the new valve.

R U on municipal or well? Do you notice any sediment in the bottom of the toilet tank?

Hi Guys,

I used a fluidmaster adjustable fill valve. $8 at lowes. It was origianl to the house so that's what I used to replace.

The stop valve is not threaded at all. It is a push/pull.

I am on municipal water.

No sediment in the tank.

I have subsequently removed and inspected the valve I installed and all appears fine. The tank does fill and the valve funstions properly. It just takes a long time to fill. About 13 minutes.

Shut off the supply valve first. Pull up on the collar on the fill valve shank inside of the tank, then pull the head off of the fill valve. Holding your hand over the exposed pipe inside the tank, turn the supply valve on, and see how much pressure you have there. That will tell you whether the problem is in the head, or further down.

Push/Pull stop valve?? Not familiar with those.
Maybe you get full flow when you disconnected supply and ran water into a container but stop valve malfunctions when it has a restricted flow through the Fluidmaster.

Back