Toilet rough-in. 10" or 12"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogucki

Reaction score
So I've got a small bathroom and I'm trying to save space. Here's my question. Is the difference between a 10" & 12" rough-in toilet mean that the entire toilet will sit 2" closer to the wall on a 10" toilet. Or does the difference have to do with working the plumbing around floor joists, etc and the toilets both sit the same distance from the wall?

I've also read that some toilets, once installed, end up an inch or so from the wall. The shower door opens towards the toilet so every inch counts here. I was thinking about buying the toilet and physically measuring the dimensions to keep it close to the wall as possible but I figured you'd guys would have some good answers.

Thanks, in advance.

What is the dimension you have from the wall to the center of the flange? That's what will determine what toilet you need. 10-12 or 14" rough. Once that decision is made. Then measure from the mounting holes on the bowl to it's front edge. That will tell you how far that toilet will extend from the wall.

John

I'm roughing in the plumbing so I'll make it 10" or 12" depending on if the 10" moves the entire toilet 2" closer to the wall. Right now, there is no flange. There's just a 3" dwv pipe hanging out between a couple floor joists.

If you can make it a 12" rough. You will have a much larger choice of toilets you can use. Just how much room do you have for the swing of the shower door? The Kohler Wellworth round front is 27.5" in length. With the center of the flange at 12" off the finish wall there is about 1" between the tank and the wall. If you looking for as much room as you can get you could make the flange 11.5" off the finish wall and the tank should then be 1/2" off the wall. I wouldn't try to get it any closer then that.

John

Last edited:
Would rather have an elongated bowl. I don't see how a man can use the round bowls without becoming intimate with it. So does the 10" rough in actually move the whole toilet back 2"?

One problem i have with a 10" rough in is that it allows some toilet tanks to sit right against, or very close to the drywall. While this looks good, its a terrible spot for mold build up over time from the tank sweating. A 12" rough allows good air flow behind the tank and gives you more toilet options, as some dont work for a 10" rough in.

Heck, I roughed it in at 12". The wife just wants it done, so I'll buy the thinnest elongated bowl toilet I can find and just be happy with it. Thanks.

I do agree with you about wanting elongated toilets. But I thought you were short on space. A elongated bowl is 2" larger then a round front. A 10" rough doesn't move the bowl closer to the wall.

John

Back